Talk

Advanced search

How old were your DC...?

(7 Posts)
nosleepforyou Tue 16-Aug-11 02:21:34

...when they were able to ride a tricycle?

Paediatrician visit today related to DS' asthma. He is 3.5. He has a tricycle but despite our attempts to teach him, he cannot pedal it. Perhaps more accurately, he seems to have very little interest in it.

He can climb stairs, run, sort of jump, excels in language and those kinds of milestones, but for some reason the Paed asked us if he could ride a tricycle and then looked at us strangely and said "he should be able to do that by now..." and then went on to something else which was rather important and we never got back to it.

Curious as to when others began to ride a tricycle successfully, and also, why it would be cause for concern?

kittensliveupstairs Tue 16-Aug-11 06:25:46

DD was around 2, but a friends son was about 5 so they really do vary a lot.

CaptainMartinCrieff Tue 16-Aug-11 06:35:31

My DS is still too young but my niece was 3 before she could pedal herself.

Gumps Tue 16-Aug-11 06:46:14

I remember ds1 having this as one of his targets at Pre school. I was a bit sceptical as we don't even have a tricycle at home and he rarely went on the one there.
Must just be one of those target things they have to tick off.
I am a PE teacher and was not concerned at all at ds physical development. Sounds like your ds is doing great too so I wouldn't worry about it.

Chundle Tue 16-Aug-11 08:18:23

My dd is 2 and got asked this by the paed. It's too check for dyspraxia and coordination difficulties

Firawla Tue 16-Aug-11 11:19:10

my 3 yr old still uses his feet to ride trycycles rather than use the pedals, he doesnt practise on them that much so i wasnt particularly worried?

nosleepforyou Tue 16-Aug-11 17:40:10

Thanks for the responses, I had no idea that it was a developmental check type thing! Now ever so slightly concerned, might try a bit harder to get him to take an interest!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now