Talk

Advanced search

Isn't colic supposed to get better not worse?!

(14 Posts)
Taranta Mon 15-Aug-11 21:07:00

Can someone offer any insights into handling an unhappy baby?! My DS is 12 weeks tomorrow, and the past couple of weeks seems to have increasingly plaintive outbursts of crying that nothing i do can resolve. He's always been a bit of a fusser, but these recent outbursts seem so much worse - his poor littlle face puce with the effort of bawling, tears streaming down his face! I used to be able to nurse him to calm, but he refuses the boob now when he gets upset. I assumed this was colic, but isn't it a bit late to be getting so much worse? He has been drooling a lot this week so I'm thinking maybe its teething not colic?

It's heartbreaking - and its his 12 week jabs tomorrow I almost cAnt bear to think how traumatic it's likely to be in the aftermath sad

baldbyfifty Mon 15-Aug-11 21:45:41

I really do feel your pain we had twelve weeks of colic with our dd and it was hellish. It probably is teeth time but while he's having his jabs tomorrow might be worth asking them to check he's otherwise well and not coming down with anything.

If it is teeth you pretty much have to grin and bear it i'm afraid get yourself some teething gel, calpol and the wine of your choice.

xx

Taranta Tue 16-Aug-11 10:24:32

Thanks baldbyfifty, I've just got back from the surgery and the dreaded injections, cue much bawling, then the trauma of it all has put him to sleep...for now... Based on the last time I am expecting him to kick off mid afternoon poor wee mite...

The other of my myriad worries is that he seems to always wake up crying, often before he's even woken up properly his face crumples and he'll let out a heartrending cry - is this common? He usually comes out of it fairly quickly, but I have to get him on the boob pretty quick to minimise his upset. Is he having bad dreams? someone suggested he's a high-need baby anddoesn't like the transition from sleep to wake- is this just hokum?

PS The nurse suggested teething powders - any experience of them? I currently have two brands of gel in waiting...

Elsy Tue 16-Aug-11 19:40:44

I had similar problems with DD2. She had 'colic' for eight months and was finally diagnosed with silent reflux. Like your DS she would wake up screaming throughout the evening (usually ok once she went into deep sleep at around 11.00) and wouldn't nap for as long as she needed. She also refused to feed for more than five minutes at a time so began to lose loads of weight (went from 99th centile to 25th by about 12 weeks). The consultant we saw said that reflux peaks at about 12 weeks and then begins to improve, usually disappearing by 1. If you think your DS has some of the common reflux symptoms (try googling it, it's pretty common) you might want to speak to your GP because there are several treatments that can really help.

Just to reassure you, DD2 was a phenomenally difficult baby and horrendous sleeper for about 18 months, but at 2.5 now a relatively easy toddler and generally sleeping ok.

Taranta Tue 16-Aug-11 21:14:18

It's interesting you say that Elsy cos I have wondered about reflux but didnt think DS symptoms were as severe as reflux - he doesnt really barf much milk and has always burped nicely, but i did ask my GP about it and he prescribed infant gaviscon sachets around week 6 but to be honest it didn't seem to make much difference. DS doesn't ever like to be cradled, and always wants to be sat upright against me, his back to my tummy, that's the only position that stops him crying when the screaming abdabs take hold. It knackering on the arms and I alternate holding with a baby carrier or else id never get anything done. I do wonder if it just his frustration at wanting to be independently mobile, as he's also a constant fidget...

RitaMorgan Tue 16-Aug-11 21:18:39

Is he breastfed? Have you considered a cow's milk intolerance? This is quite common in babies.

Taranta Tue 16-Aug-11 21:38:29

He's mixed fed - BF except for one bottle formula before bed (had a rocky road breastfeeding so have built up to this point from virtually all formula in week 4). My HV dismissed the idea of intolerances (but then HV also dismissed lactation consultant's confirmation of DSs tongue tie as over-diagnosis so...). I'm guessing a paediatrician would need to deal with a cows milk diagnosis? Maybe I'll see what cutting out dairy does for aweek or so...

fifitot Tue 16-Aug-11 21:41:26

Having reflux doesn' t mean they are sick all the time. My DD had it and was hardly ever sick.

Good think was it improved when she could sit up on her own so you may see a difference soon.

RitaMorgan Tue 16-Aug-11 21:46:19

Has his tongue-tie been treated? Tongue-tie can cause reflux and colic symptoms.

If it's cow's milk protein intolerance you would have to exclude all dairy from his and your diets for 2-3 weeks to see if it made a difference. I don't think they test for it, they'll just suggest an exclusion diet.

Taranta Tue 16-Aug-11 22:01:52

Here's hoping fifitot...

Rita his TT was snipped at week 5 yes. Have you got experience of non dairy formula? Is there a notable brand I should be looking for?

RitaMorgan Wed 17-Aug-11 10:09:40

I don't have personal experience - I think you can get them prescribed by the GP. As I understand it you want a hypoallergenic formula rather than a soya one as many babies who are allergic to cow's milk are also allergic to soya.

tostaky Wed 17-Aug-11 21:31:54

ah well, my DS was like yours until 4 months old, then he gradually became better ie: less colics.
he has stopped waking up crying/whingeing around 2 years old
stopped whingeing around 2.5
and now he is almost three, he is so much more nicer to be around than this crying baby i used to have!!!!

then again, if you says it is getting worse, it might be worse checking with the GP... could be gastro-enteritis or something like that... young babies do catch things very very very easily...

tostaky Wed 17-Aug-11 21:33:46

also, do you "cycle" his legs, hold him belly on your arm and give him some tummy time? all these things help a lot with colic

good luck, i know from experience it is really hard, but it will get better!! promise!

Taranta Thu 18-Aug-11 21:11:43

Thanks Tostaky, so only a few years to wait til the crying abates then?! I do a bit of tummy time - couple of times a day for a few minutes a time - at the moment he doesn't like it too much...cycling the legs too tho DS does trump for England by and large without much assistance.
I think what I find most difficult is the suddenness of DS's crying fits - he can go from giggling to screaming abdabs in the blink of an eye, there's no middle ground and I get no warning so I can't head it off before he wigs out! It doesn't help that he is a fitful sleeper either...he's currently asleep in my arms after a good period of wriggling and mithering...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now