Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone used a Habbit Retainer to stop thumb sucking?

(4 Posts)
mummyloveslucy Mon 15-Aug-11 19:49:31

Hi, my 6.5 year old daughter sucks her thumb regularly. She has done since she was a baby. She also scratches her old teddie while she does it.

She has 2 adult teeth at the bottom and has lost her two front teeth. I really want her to stop sucking her thumb before her new front teeth come through. I've read about the damage it can cause to the teeth and jaw and it's quite shocking.

She also has quite severe speech and language difficulties, which isn't caused by thumb sucking, but probubly isn't helped either.

I've searched google and it mentioned habbit retainers. They basically sit in the bottom of the mouth, secured by the teeth. There is a piece that sticks up, preventing a thumb going in.

Has anyone had any experience of these? I'm going to try that stuff you paint on the nails first, and use this as a last resort as it's expencive.

It does seem a bit harsh, but she'll thank me for it later, I hope.

bigTillyMint Mon 15-Aug-11 19:53:49

Well I've never heard of habit retainers, but we tried the nail varnish stuff, plasters on the thumb, bribery, etc, etc and none of it worked. DD is 12 and still sucks her thumb. She only does it at home now though, I think! Luckily she doesn't seem to have sticky-out teeth.

I did the same and my teeth don't stick out. But they are all filled / rotten due to the extra-strong ribena I used to drink bu the gallon blush

mummyloveslucy Mon 15-Aug-11 19:59:45

My brother sucked his thumb until he was 11. My mum tried the nail paint and plasters but it didn't work either.
He does have slanted bottom teeth and sticking out top ones. I guess it's luck of the draw, or maby how hard you suck?
Maybe I should show her his teeth and say "look what your's will look like". (Not too sure my brother would be too impressed) grin

mummyloveslucy Mon 15-Aug-11 20:26:47

bump

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now