Talk

Advanced search

How old were your DC's when they started jumping?

(14 Posts)
StrandedBear Mon 15-Aug-11 18:29:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ragged Mon 15-Aug-11 18:36:15

Do you mean 2 footed? Between 22 & 25 months, I think. They were all early walkers (9-11m). I'd be amazed by a 17m-old who could do any sort of jump or hop.

supadupapupascupa Mon 15-Aug-11 18:37:03

my DS started to jump from standing about 2 months ago so 22months. He's quite good at it now :-)

however he has jumped onto and off things since he could walk!

StrandedBear Mon 15-Aug-11 18:43:10

LaWeasel Mon 15-Aug-11 18:44:31

DD can't yet (she's getting on to two and a half) although she has been trying to for a few months, and makes the movements just doesn't leave the floor!

I have noticed that at toddler groups when the children jump up and down for sleeping bunnies some who are younger can, and some who are older also can't. I expect it is related to the age at which your child started to walk, and that's so varied the range of normal for jumping will go on just as long!

survivingsummer Mon 15-Aug-11 19:52:39

My dd started jumping with 2 feet off the ground at coming up to 3 yrs although she does have some motor skill difficulties. She still can't hop and she's 4 now. I think the average age for hopping is 3 - 4 yrs so no need to worry at all!

BaaBaaHerdwickSheep Mon 15-Aug-11 21:10:19

Your post made me smile because DS got airborn for first time this weekend - aged nearly 20 months - but he has been practising for AGES every day for about 2 months, since DH started jumping in front of him which he thought was utterly hilarious. When I say airborn, I mean that there was maybe a milimeter between him and the floor! He has also spent loads of time recently on bouncy castles and trampolines - he thinks its the best thing ever. Also a lot of time bouncing on the sofa (I'm not so keen on this!). So it was only a matter of time I guess!

BoysRusxxx Mon 15-Aug-11 21:14:30

D2s is 20 months and he 'jumps' but only one foot leaves the ground! Ds1 is 2.7 and he is a good jumper but has only mastered the art in the last 3 months. Anything before that was kind of a half jump.

I think DD was about 20 months. She's just started hopping now, aged 3.9.
DS was 4.5. He couldn't do it until he saw someone smaller than himself do it enough times that he could work out what to do. He still can't hop. He's very clumsy though, I think because of very long sight and a (now treated) lazy eye.

leakyR Mon 15-Aug-11 21:23:33

I seem to remember talking to friend whose nephew has SEN, who mentioned that jumping is a developmental step that should have occured by school age. DD is 27m and has probably been having a go for about 6m.

SB were you SPB?

stealthsquiggle Mon 15-Aug-11 22:34:45

I can distinctly remember DS at almost 3 trying to teach friend's little girl who was almost 2 - and she couldn't do it at all - and I remember trying to explain to DS that he couldn't at her age - so, somewhere between 2 and 3yo! (I don't have comparable landmarks for DD, so not sure, but quite possibly earlier - she is generally a little more co-ordinated than DS)

hester Mon 15-Aug-11 22:36:04

dd starting jumping with both feet quite recently, in the last couple of months - she's 22 months. No hopping yet.

stclair Mon 15-Aug-11 22:40:59

DD started walking at 15 months and jumping with both feet off the ground at 18 months. She LOVES jumping!

StrandedBear Tue 16-Aug-11 16:35:52

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now