Talk

Advanced search

Is this normal for 7 weeks (4 weeks prem)?

(3 Posts)
KentMom Mon 15-Aug-11 17:53:41

Hello everyone.

I'm struggling with my 7 week old, born 4 weeks early, and I can't figure out whether her behaviour is normal or I'm doing something wrong. She spent her first couple of weeks in SCBU and when we got her home she cried when she was hungry and mostly slept in between. She was quiet and alert when she was awake. Now things are very different. During the day she cries unless she's in my arms or in the sling, but within a few minutes of being in either she falls asleep. If I try to put her down she wakes up and starts crying until I pick her up again. I always try feeding her in case she’s hungry but she rarely is – she’ll suck for a tiny bit then fall asleep and stay asleep until I try to put her down. Just letting her cry is not an option - she just gets louder and redder and more upset.

Some days are better than others – often in the morning between about 10 and 12 we can get up to half an hour to an hour of “quiet and alert” but never in the afternoon/evening. We’ve had a couple of evenings with hours of constant inconsolable crying.

She’s not too bad at night – the pattern above lasts until 11 or 12 when we finally get her down for the night with a big feed and some white noise. Generally she then sleeps for 4 hours, feeds, then sleeps for 3 hours.

Is she getting too much sleep during the day? Since the only way to keep her from crying is to carry her, and carrying her = sleeping, she sleeps a lot during the day and I’m worried that it will start to affect her nights. Last night she was up between 2am and 5am – the first time it’s happened but what if it’s the start of a pattern? And am I inadvertently "training" her to sleep only in my arms or in the sling? I certainly don't want to be doing that forever, and I’m finding it very frustrating not being able to get much done.

Or is this normal and I just need some patience?

Help!

Madlizzy Mon 15-Aug-11 18:06:02

She sounds colicky. Might be worth trying Colief of Infacol.

iwillbrushmyteethbefore10am Mon 15-Aug-11 19:49:20

Hi, not sure of the answer but just wanted to say don't worry about carrying her to get her to sleep. Mine was sleeping on me or DH until 7/8 weeks and then we put him into moses basket at night but still had to carry him to get him to sleep and this week (11 weeks) he is okay settling himself after a little grizzling. Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now