Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else's 4yo not interested in scooter/bike?

(7 Posts)
MegBusset Sun 14-Aug-11 12:09:58

DS1 is 4.6 and simply not showing an interest in scooting or riding a bike. He's got a micro scooter which he knows how to ride but won't - never wants to take it out of the house, occasionally tinkers with the wheels but that's it. He's got a trike which I think he has sat on about three times.

I've considered getting a balance bike but my fear is just throwing good money after bad <eyes unused £60 scooter>. But all the kids ride their bikes around here and I don't want him to miss out.

So should I get the balance bike and persist with trying to get him interested? Or give up for now, and hope peer pressure kicks in at some point and he'll ask for a bike?

MegBusset Sun 14-Aug-11 14:23:18

Bump

skybluepearl Sun 14-Aug-11 22:31:35

I'm not sure what to recommend.

My DS loved his new micro scooter aged 2 and then loved his new balance bike aged 3. It's been such a great buy, he whizzes everywhere and takes great delight in using it.

Can you borrow one for a week? Do you have a friend who can loan you theirs while they are on holiday?

kw13 Mon 15-Aug-11 13:50:25

My DS (now just turned 5) is (and was) just the same. He did like a trike but absolutely no interest in a scooter. I used a trike with a long handle on to take him to the shops in - which helped. I think he worries he'll fall off (a scooter) and doesn't realize that with practice he will be just as good as everyone else. I suspect he will just miss out the whole scooter thing and go straight to a bike. I recently got a trail-a-bike thing that goes on the back of my bike so he is pedalling along and is convinced that he is doing all the work (if only!) and I'm hoping that this encourages him to learn to cycle later on. But I share your confusion over the whole scooter thing!

rabbitstew Mon 15-Aug-11 16:36:57

Neither of mine were particularly interested in trikes, scooters or bikes. Still not at ages 5 and 7, although they will reluctantly and occasionally go on them (7-year old quite enjoys his scooter these days, but only ever goes on it if it's suggested to him) and are both capable of riding a bike.

CharlotteBronteSaurus Mon 15-Aug-11 19:35:31

dd1 is 4.5 and has a bike with stabilisers (present from us), and a scooter (present from grandma). She only ever rides them at my suggestion, and so we are in a bit of a vicious cycle whereby she never rides, so she doesn't get any practice, so she doesn't improve, so she's a bit rubbish, so she doesn't want to ride.

i really wish she would show more interest, but it's just not really her thing.

10krunner Tue 16-Aug-11 07:32:26

My 4yo isn't interested either. She has a bike that she occasionally goes on - pedals backwards, gives up and won't even try again for a month or so. Its just another case of all kids are different and have different likes and dislikes. We also had an outdoor playhouse for her up until yesterday and she would never play in it, gave it away on Freecycle in the end.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now