Talk

Advanced search

things to do/play with 14 month old

(16 Posts)
happygilmore Sat 13-Aug-11 16:48:59

Just looking for ideas on games/toys/things to do with a 14 month old please - she is not walking or standing really yet. I'm not in full health so anything too strenuous is out for me, but ideas/inspiration would be great.

StrandedBear Sat 13-Aug-11 17:04:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FoxyRevenger Sat 13-Aug-11 19:27:47

My daughter is 14 months and is really into 'categorising' things just now and tidying them.

I give her a tupperware box full of pegs and she can spend ages moving them from there to an empty box and back again grin

MrsGravy Sat 13-Aug-11 19:29:02

Mine is the same age and likes rolling a ball back and forth from her to me, loves stories, loves listening to music and 'dancing', she also loves patt-a-cake, row row row your boat, etc etc

She loves cars and pushing a pram and a dolly around. You could try finger painting at this age (mine isn't interested in that yet but others might be) or playing with 'gloop'. Oh and she enjoys me building towers of bricks and her knocking them down!

happygilmore Sat 13-Aug-11 19:42:11

Thanks everyone, great ideas. Foxy, DD too loves pegs, she plays with them in the washing basket for hours on end..it's the little things they like isn't it?!

I think she'd love to push things around if she was walking, but still a while to go on that one. Finger paints are an idea, she is just starting to get crayons, although the thought of the mess and our sofas worries me slightly grin

muslimah28 Sat 13-Aug-11 22:13:01

We have a 14mo and atm his favourite things are going to the garden, books, shape sorter, putting things into other things, anything with buttons, and emptying my kitchen drawers onto the kitchen floor (spice drawer is his favourite so the magnetic locks are going up soon needless to say!), I also sit him on the kitchen worktop while I cook that keeps him entertained for quite a while! I think I may look up finger painting and safe crayons I think he'd love those smile

happygilmore Sun 14-Aug-11 08:19:27

How do you get him to stay on the worktop, muslimah? DD would just throw herself off..

V impressed with the use of the shapesorter, DD just throws shapes in the general direction of the toy, rather than through the holes!

MayDayChild Sun 14-Aug-11 08:33:44

My DS loves his variety of shape sorters (older DD so we have amassed loads) there's a ball one which is his fave, plus he quite likes the wooden puzzles where you fit the shapes on the board. We have a noisy farm one and he copies the noises but needs help lining up the piece to slot in.
He loves all balls but think this is a boy thing.
Knocking down brick towers. Raspberry blowing on any available tummy including teddies.
Apart from that it's all about doors. Opening shutting. Repeat.

MayDayChild Sun 14-Aug-11 08:36:52

Oh and this little piggy and round the garden. Plus row row making up lots of verses tall giraffe laugh etc you have to strenuously row with them ! And if you're happy song, he now knows where his eyes ears, mouth and nose are.

MayDayChild Sun 14-Aug-11 08:38:31

Two empty nappy boxes was over an hour of peace for mummy!

FaintlyMacabre Sun 14-Aug-11 08:46:09

Mine loves it if I put something on my head and then pretend to 'sneeze' it off. Sounds ridiculous but it has him in hysterics. He keeps handing whatever it is back to me for a repeat.

Also he enjoys 'helping' to make the bed- he sits under the sheet while I waft it about over his head like a parachute.

FaintlyMacabre Sun 14-Aug-11 08:56:32

I've just remembered his favourite activity, which is playing in the sink. He usually stands on a little stool while I hover about nervously, but if I need to get on with something (eg have a shower) I put him in his highchair next to the bathroom sink and he dabbles about for ages. This would only work with a highchair with a detachable tray. Or you could just give her a washing up bowl on the floor and stand by with a mop...

Reallea Sun 14-Aug-11 09:14:24

I allow mine a cupboard in the kitchen Where I place anything plastic. All the Tupperware is in there and a large Tupperware box full of small yoghurt pots tec and a jug full of milk bottle tops. He loves to open the cupboard and take things out, play mixing with a bowl and spoon etc.

muslimah28 Mon 15-Aug-11 17:50:13

HAPPYGILMORE the sitting on worktop thing was just an experiment one day and he seemed to get it smile i switch off the kettle from mains as soon as hes up there and shift the kitchen knife block away, and i have had to get used to bits of food im preparing being nicked grin (and usually spat out as they're raw (obviously i never let him at meat or fish!))

he can only do the round shape on the sorter himself, the rest i still need to help him with but he does enjoy it smile

whitsun Tue 16-Aug-11 02:50:34

These are great activities! My DS (15 months) will walk with a trolly but not otherwise, so loves the trolly.

Board books are his favourite thing, but opening doors and drawers and shutting them again is also a favourite. Frankly, he is at a distructive age right now (he 'stress-tests' everything to breaking point) so am going to introduce crayons in a v controlled way!

cafelover Mon 05-Sep-11 14:50:44

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now