Talk

Advanced search

Wooden floor boards vs carpet when baby is crawling

(7 Posts)
LucyHarveysF Fri 12-Aug-11 23:09:20

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

rushofbloodtothefeet Fri 12-Aug-11 23:13:14

I had a friend in antenatal group who's DS got moving very early, but they had laminate floors and he developed a sort of commando crawl/glide kind of movement before the rest of use even had sitting babies smile. Carpet does slow them down, but does provide them the friction to enable 'proper' crawling!

Octaviapink Sat 13-Aug-11 07:52:30

We have wooden floors and both DCs started off by pushing themselves around backwards. I think it helps them get moving earlier. When we went to stay somewhere that had carpet (DD was crawling by them) she got awful carpet-burns on her toes!

Wallace Sat 13-Aug-11 08:08:53

Laminate floors here and my dc have all crawled. Dd was 11 months, ds2 9 months and ds3 8 months.

We had carpets when ds1 was a baby and he crawled at 10 months after crawling backwards first!

Both ds3 and dd do/did a crawl with one knee and one foot.

So I say - coincidence smile

iskra Sat 13-Aug-11 08:10:35

Laminate floors, and DD crawled at 8 months.

lollystix Sat 13-Aug-11 09:57:49

Wooden floors (Victorian - not laminate). Ds1 never crawled - just walked at 13 months. Ds2 crawled at 11 months and walked at 17 months, ds3 crawled at 10 months and walked at 14 months. So for me I'd say the floor was irrelevant.

RustyBear Sat 13-Aug-11 10:04:24

DS got very frustrated at first because hemade all the right movements but couldn't get anywhere on our carpet. Then one day I went to a shoe shop and had to leave the buggy downstairs - I put DS down on the floor and he just shot off - the shoe shop had that very short Flotex type carpet, which had much better traction than mine at home. Once he'd cracked it, he had no more problems at home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now