Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Wont let dad cuddle mum.

(4 Posts)
n3azz Fri 12-Aug-11 22:11:41

We have a two year old boy and whenever my wife and I cuddle or show affection he says "my Mummy" and then either joins in or pushes me away.

I hear this occurs but can we stop this or does this stop on it's own?
I have a very close relationship with my son and we share the parenting equally so he has equall time with us.

LittleCatZ Fri 12-Aug-11 22:50:52

This does stop on it's own - we have 2 DS and had this with DS1 around the same age (now 4). DS2 is nearly 2 and now pushes DS1 away from his mummy! DH is also a very hands on Dad who has days on his own with DC each week. My theory is that it's part of separation anxiety and accepting that mummy is a separate person.

haplessnavigator Fri 12-Aug-11 23:01:40

It's totally normal. My dc (5 and 7) still join in and cuddle our legs when I kiss my Dh goodbye in the am. At some point in the future they'll change to rolling their eyes in disgust. Your son needs to believe that he comes first in mum's eyes and that's just evolution/biology to make sure his needs are met. Also boys beliefs about their own attractiveness comes from their mother's behaviour and attitudes to them. It's great that you are so hands on. And watch out because hero worship of dad starts at around 5 yrs and then you could find yourself peeling him off of you and managing his boasting about how amazing you are.

LittleCatZ Fri 12-Aug-11 23:27:21

Great points haplessnavigator I read Raising Boys by Steve Bidulph recently. Didn't agree with it all but it was helpful to understand mum has so much influence over how boys see women and also the roles each parent has in different development phases. Well worth reading at the age your DS is now when they're trying to communicate and you're still learning how to understand them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now