Talk

Advanced search

my 3 week old wants a bottle every 2 hours, please tell me i am not alone!

(8 Posts)
lizandlulu Fri 12-Aug-11 17:18:49

she has between 1 and 3 ounces everytime. if we are out and about she might stretch to 3 hours, but if we are at home she wants one between every 1 and 2 hours. sometimes its like she is just keeping topped up and never actually having a full 3 or 4 ounces.
through the night its usually every 2 hours, 3 if i am lucky.

it is my 2nd dd so its not like i am totally new to all of this, but it was nearly 6 years ago and seems a lifetime ago.

this is not helped by the fact that someone i know had a baby 1 day after and hers is having a bottle at 9pm, then 5 am!

i cant leave her to cry for a bottle, but dont know what i can do apart from just give her what she wants, when she wnats it and wait for her to have more so she wants it less often ifswim?

Gastonladybird Fri 12-Aug-11 17:20:09

Growth phase- dd like this between 3-5 weeks then calmed
Down

Gastonladybird Fri 12-Aug-11 17:20:40

And if she is not ful of wind/ being sick then I would feed her

lizandlulu Fri 12-Aug-11 17:33:09

she is quite sicky because she wont bring her wind up very well.

Momo36 Fri 12-Aug-11 19:12:46

I have nothing to add other than my dd fed every 2 hours day and night for the first 7 weeks. It is shattering but there is no way around it I don't think. She was born a bit under and was making up her weight. It nearly killed me as she spent 40 mins breast feeding. You will get through this but for now I don't think there is much you can or should do other than feed... Good luck!

trixie123 Fri 12-Aug-11 19:19:15

DD (DC2) very quickly went from 2oz feeds up to four and I think by week four we had ditched the smaller bottles which I remember using for much longer with DS. She was quite colicy and we used infacol and now the colic has gone I am using it before feeds to help relax her stomach so she doesn't sick up quite so much. Sometimes it IS down to overfeeding but other times its just a spasm I think. She has less than 4 hrs between feeds except at night. she is 13 weeks and going 7pm - 4am (ish). Went til 5am yesterday and I think if we had a room of her own to out her in she would be going through now but we disturb her. DS was in his own room very early. In short, give her what she needs, but slowly, stop after 3oz and give her a break - a dummy helps with this.

lizandlulu Fri 12-Aug-11 21:34:30

thank you for the replies, she rarely drinks more than 3 oz anyway, but i am very concious of not wanting to stretch her tummy, and she sucks very very slowly, she is not a fast drinker at all.

fingers crossed she grows out of this soonsmile

ledkr Fri 12-Aug-11 21:58:15

my dd is now 6 months and has never had more than 4oz and has always fed 2-3 hrly. If you keep the night feeds dark and low stimulus she will prob feed up in the day and go a bit longer at night eventually.
Dont believe all these people who have newborn all night sleepers its very unusual.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now