Talk

Advanced search

does age-adjustment work the other way?

(10 Posts)
MedicalEd Fri 12-Aug-11 12:36:56

My DD was 17 days overdue and is 5.5 months so is she really 6 months?

SootySweepandSue Fri 12-Aug-11 12:47:33

I have no idea but that's the most overdue I've come across.

Mine was 10 days over but I think the dates were a bit off as I've a 35 day cycle.

holyShmoley Fri 12-Aug-11 13:32:18

17 days. OMG that is torture.

SaulGood Fri 12-Aug-11 13:34:49

Probably not. Because a normal gestation is 37-42 weeks so you're talking about babies being ready to be born from 37 weeks. Before this, they still have to catch up to the point of 'ready' from a physiological/developmental pov so adjustment is important.

Northernrose Fri 12-Aug-11 15:15:01

No, she is 5.5 months. Age adjustment is only for premature babies not overdue ones. HTH!

MedicalEd Fri 12-Aug-11 15:49:46

I was 17 days over going from first day of last period so I was never convinced, even though I had lots of scans which seemed to confirm that.
I was induced and that took two days, grim.
She's very long for her age so I wonder if that had an impact but they say early scans are very accurate, so I dunno.

BarbarianMum Fri 12-Aug-11 18:30:07

Ds2 was 10 days late and hit all those very early milestones eg smiling about 10 days early, so yes, in a way, I agree with you. However, it is only for the first couple of months that age-related milestones are measured so precisely and after that the effect wore off ie at 6 months 10 days was neither here nor there.

JeelyPiece Fri 12-Aug-11 20:02:03

I was wondering this with regard to weaning, as my 19 week old DS was 16 days late - you just beat me Medical! And it was torture for me certainly. Induction took five days.

I think I read somewhere that it could have an effect on weaning readiness (i.e. latest weaning should be a couple of weeks before six months) but my HV poo-pooed that suggestion. It was mentioned in some research that was linked to on a weaning thread but I can't find it again unfortunately.

MedicalEd Fri 12-Aug-11 20:40:23

Jeely, we started weaning very gently at 5 months but DD will not hold food so its only spoon feeding some fruit and veg purees, baby porridge and holding chunks of apple, melon, peach ect for her to suck on.
I posted this because in some ways I think DD is behind. She can sit ok propped up but doesn't really play with toys in this position, doesn't hold or shake rattles ect.
But she did smile at 3 weeks, cut her first teeth at 13 weeks, rolled over at 15 weeks (about on track I think). Socially she seems advanced but the toy thing bothers me.

JeelyPiece Fri 12-Aug-11 20:49:31

I have no experience there Medical but I wouldn't worry - they can be 'ahead' in some things and 'behind' in others. Particularly if she is only 5.5 months not 6 months smile

Have you asked your HV/GP about it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now