Talk

Advanced search

Worried about ds1s speech

(4 Posts)
bananacurry Thu 11-Aug-11 20:02:33

Ds1 is 3 on Tuesday. His speech was coming on really well but as he's getting older certain areas aren't improving. He can't say L which I know is quite common but he's also struggling with anything followed by r like br, cr, dr, fr etc. He makes a really strange sound instead!

When should I start to worry??

survivingsummer Thu 11-Aug-11 20:23:03

Like the L sound, an R sound is also hard for this age group to say. Also consonant clusters can be difficult for kids to get their mouths around. Just keep modeling back as I'm sure you are doing!

Have you seen this?
www.speech-language-therapy.com/acquisition.html

DeWe Thu 11-Aug-11 20:34:02

I'd raise concerns with the health visitor or GP. He may not need any intervention, but the speech therapy waiting list can be 9 months to a year. I'd request his hearing to be tested too, it's the first thing the speech therapist will ask, and you may not be aware of slight hearing loss, which can effect the speech. My ds has glue ear and is having speech therapy. He's not very keen on it, except blowing the bubbles, but it does help.

bananacurry Thu 11-Aug-11 20:47:05

survivingsummer Thanks for the link. I might have a word with the HV and see how he is in 6 months!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now