Talk

Advanced search

6wk old struggling to nap

(7 Posts)
ZolaPowered Thu 11-Aug-11 12:49:27

My 6wk old just doesn't want to sleep in the day unless he's in a sling, pushchair or buggy. Anyone else experienced this and got any tips for getting him to nap in his Moses basket?

Thanks!

Devonlover Thu 11-Aug-11 13:01:07

We had the same problem (and still do, with napping sad ...) We found that it wasn't so much the Moses basket that was the problem but going into the bedroom and being left on his own during the day. So we tried moving the moses basket around the house, or wherever I/my DH was, and adding a bit of gentle background noise - either us talking or the radio etc. This did help, a bit. Also, try warming up the mattress - I used to sit on it whilst BF, or you could use a hotwater bottle for a few minutes just to take the chill off.
If your baby likes to be swaddled, he/she might just feel a bit lonely in the big Moses basket. You cold try wrapping them up more tightly so they feel secure!
Good luck

CamperFan Thu 11-Aug-11 13:13:35

Devonlover gives some good advice. I just wanted to add that it is very normal at 6 weeks. Have you tried lying on the bed with him so that at least he gets used to sleeping without the motion?

Flisspaps Thu 11-Aug-11 13:16:03

Sounds normal for a 6 week old smile He's spent 9 months living inside you, always with someone close to him and listening to your heartbeat. The moses basket is a very strange quiet place. Wait a bit before worrying about him sleeping in the basket or cot.

ZolaPowered Thu 11-Aug-11 13:32:36

Thanks for the advice and reassurance. Have been reading a few baby books which talk about self settling but he is nowhere near ready for that! Sometimes makes you feel like he should just drift off to sleep if laid down in his basket so it's good to hear that what he wants is normal. I'll try the tips that Devonlover suggested, otherwise I'll just carry on using the sling a lot!

milkyjo Fri 12-Aug-11 13:10:27

My DS didn't self settle until about 4.5 months, he would not sleep in the day. I carried him around A LOT (now I have popeye arms!). He is 8 months now and sleeps in his cot for 2 hour naps and goes straight to sleep once I close the door, so proof that he didn't rely on being carried or rocked to fall asleep, he just grew out of it. The books tell you to put them down where they sleep at night but the Dept of Health advises your baby should sleep where you are for the first 6 months, including in the day. The best way to do this is by using your sling, have you tried getting him off to sleep in your arms then putting him in the basket? You could try a combination of suggestions, like swaddling, rocking/ sling then lower him down into the warm basket with your whole upper body. Can you slip off the sling easily? There's no problem in having your baby sleep on the sling in the basket, as long as you are in the same room and can keep an eye on him.

Flisspaps Sat 13-Aug-11 18:20:54

Stick the books in the bin - you can read as many as you like, but if DS doesn't bother, it's pointless wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now