Talk

Advanced search

17 week old not reaching out to grab things very concerned....

(9 Posts)
hippy3 Thu 11-Aug-11 09:12:29

hi I have 17 week old twin boys, I am a bit concerned as they arent yet reaching to grab things. (they were born 4 and a half week early)

the grasp onto things that are placed in their hands, and hold on to them. They are continuously bringing their hands to their mouths and are placing them together infront of their face. They do also show an interest in anything I put infront of them(which I am doing to try to encourage them to grasp for stuff)

is this normal....?? I am a bit of a worrier, I am also seriously sleep deprived at the moment!! and am waiting for the moment I am not the only source of entertainment !!!

Thanks......

pinksmartie Thu 11-Aug-11 09:58:46

I know this is easy to say but please don't worry!!! they are obviously using their hands as they can grasp and find their mouths!!! the reaching will come.....and then you'll never be safe to put a cuppa down again! smile
Try and relax get some rest they will be fine!

BoysAreLikeDogs Thu 11-Aug-11 10:02:54

if you take into account their prematurity they are 12 and a bit weeks old, so no need to panic

congratulations

survivingsummer Thu 11-Aug-11 20:27:43

I can totally understand your worry having been worried about my dd's development myself.

All I can say to try and reassure you is that at the same age my dd couldn't bring her hands together like your twins are doing. This did indicate a difficulty with her development. The fact they can do this is a really good sign and I'm sure they will get to reaching for toys soon.

If you are getting really concerned definitely seek HV's opinion. Not saying there will be anything to worry about but early intervention worked wonders for my dd. They sound like they are doing great to me and hope you can start getting some sleep soon smile

nearlytherenow Thu 11-Aug-11 22:30:58

DS2 is 16 weeks (born at 39 weeks) and I've never really seen him grab anything yet. Not that I had even thought about it until I read your post! I'm sure it's fine smile. DS2 chews his hands, stares at his hands (endlessly...), hits the things that hang down from his gym (but whether deliberately or not I couldn't say!), but no proper grabbing. I have been trying to get him to hold his own teething toy, and although he can just about hold it if I put it in his hand, he can't actually hold it in his mouth for any length of time, and drops it frequently. I'm fairly sure he's fine though! Your two sounds quite normal to me.

MedicalEd Fri 12-Aug-11 09:37:34

My DD is 5.5 months and not really grabbing things when propped up in a sitting position. She will play and grab at things hanging above her when on her playmat though.
I spoke to HV about it as I am starting to become obsessed and she said most babies would be grabbing toys and playing with them by this age so I don't think you need to worry yet Hippy. We are going to reassess in a month and then maybe refer.
My DD cut her first teeth at 13 weeks and seems to have been permanently teething so has her hands in her mouth all the time. I am hoping that is the only reason why she is not that interested in toys.
I can put toys like rattles and bells in her hand and she will hold them momentarily and mostly then drops them straight away.

Octaviapink Fri 12-Aug-11 12:26:09

Their adjusted age is only 12 weeks or so, so don't worry about it. Give them another few weeks.

Coffeeandchocolate Fri 12-Aug-11 14:52:48

My DS (24 weeks) grabbed a toy for the first time at about 18 weeks, and has only recently become more coordinated. As other posters have said, your little ones' adjusted age is about 12-13 weeks. Please try not to worry.

hippy3 Tue 16-Aug-11 21:44:01

just an update.,they have been grabbing things all week this week!!! started on the weekend, of course I was away !!!, staring at their hands loads and my little one elijah cant get enough of the playgym with the things hanging down,..how quickly things change !!! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now