Talk

Advanced search

3.2 y.o nail biter

(5 Posts)
iskra Thu 11-Aug-11 08:35:09

DD bites her nails right down to the bottom, generally when watching Tv, listening to stories, on the bus etc. She's done it for about a year. Her nails look awful & it's clearly a habit now. I don't know how to tackle it - we've been not making an issue of it but she's not stopped! Painting bitters on seems so mean but she's too young to bargain with...

rhetorician Thu 11-Aug-11 10:34:37

no advice but will keep an eye on this - DD (2.6) does it too; it's been happening for a few months and she does it for comfort, I think. Her nails are merely very short, however. Again, we've not made an issue of it either.

iskra Thu 11-Aug-11 22:16:07

Bump. Anyone got any help for us?

iskra Sat 13-Aug-11 23:05:30

Hopeful bump.

DD started at about the same age, i tried to encourage her by saying she could have them painted pink if she grew the whites again, didn't really work, we decided to just let it go. Now she is 5, she has suddenly stopped. I have been making a point of showing her all the things I can do more easily because my nails are longer (opening tricky catches, peeling stickers off sheets, peeling satsumas etc) maybe this has helped. I was a chronic nail biter till I was about 8 or 9, my dad bribed me with money, 10p per nail or similar and I stopped pretty well overnight, never done it again.

However DS (7) has started now. Grrr!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now