Talk

Advanced search

Help, my ten month old wont sleep through!

(12 Posts)
busybee1983 Wed 10-Aug-11 16:21:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Cosmosis Wed 10-Aug-11 17:16:13

Welcome to mumsnet smile

Not sleeping through at 10m is completely and utterly normal, sorry. My DS is 11m and isn’t sleeping through either (well he has on a couple of occasions), and neither are any of the babies in our NCT group. He will do eventually, but when “eventually” is is anyone’s guess!

lagrandissima Wed 10-Aug-11 17:32:19

Yep, sounds very normal.

However, if he's not sleeping during the day, he might be over tired and that can affect overnight sleep (bizarrely). You might try taking him out in his buggy, fully reclined, with a blanket thrown over it after his lunch. Avoid eye contact, don't chat, just let him sit there and fall asleep. Try to keep him asleep for 2 hours (if you're lucky, you can park him next to you whilst you get a cuppa).

Sounds like you're doing the right thing re. bedtime routine. Not sure what you mean by Johnson's products - there's nothing you need to buy. Perhaps spend 20 minutes looking at books with him to really let him wind down. If he is getting off to sleep OK at that point, but waking in the night - what is going on at that point? Are you avoiding eye contact, keep lights dimmed? Do you try any methods of sleep training, e.g. picking up /putting down, shushing?

Is he waking for feeds? If so, is your DP able to help you settle him at night? Sometimes sending in a DP with a beaker of water for a few nights is enough to break the cycle of waking at night for milk (which your LO probably doesn't need at this stage if he is getting enough food and water/milk during the day.

Hope this helps. If you can let us have a bit more info., then will try to reply later or tomorrow, or other will chip in with advice / suggestions. At least as this is your 2nd, you know that his is not going to last forever!!

busybee1983 Wed 10-Aug-11 17:59:02

Lena83 Wed 10-Aug-11 18:26:45

hi,

this is not going to be very helpful to you, but my 10 month old son is the same. I worried about this when he was 5-6 months and then I sort of gave up and accepted the situation with the hope it will improve at some point. There are better and worse nights, he tends to wake up quite a lot when he is going through developmental leaps, i.e. learning new skills etc. I don't think this can be helped. I cope with it by co-sleeping- this limits the number of movements I need to make every time he wakes up to a minimumsmile. I also read somewhere that children under 1 year need that middle-of-the-night feed and that it is good for them. That is not to say that you should wake your perfectly content baby up, but maybe if your ds is waking up it's for a good reason.
Finally, I don't know about you, but I'm noticing very slow improvements over time, I feel he is maturing. What used to be a good night now would be a bad night. It's not linear and not quick, but it's happening.
I don't think you should worry about it, but I know you are tired- I am too... There are nights when I feel that something needs to be done, because I just can't take it anymore- but that feeling usually passes and then he surprises me with a good night...So, not much help- but you're not alonesmile

OneLittleHopper Wed 10-Aug-11 20:55:23

Have you tried bringing his bedtime forward at all? 10pm seems very late for a 10-month-old, esp if he doesn't sleep during the day. What time does he wake up in the morning? I have a 10-month-old DS who does usually sleep through (well, til 5.30, but that is a whole different matter!) and he is always in bed by 6.30-7pm and crying with tiredness by then. If he goes any later, he tends to be a lot more restless during the night.

FloraFinching Wed 10-Aug-11 21:01:46

dd2 is 9mo, and doesn't sleep through reliably (3-4 nights out of seven maybe).

I would recommend reading "Healthy Sleep Habits, HAppy Child" by Marc Weissbluth. You can ignore the bits about leaving them to cry, but this book is really spot on in terms of the science of sleep, and establishing an optimal routine for your baby (not a fixed by the clock routine).

Also,, try to get to bed really, really early, like 8-9pm, for a few nights in a row. dd2 is going through a bad patch at the moment and so I'm off to bed right now.

pjd Wed 10-Aug-11 21:23:04

My DS didn't start sleeping through regularly until about 18 months unfortunately. I know this doesn't help you right now, but I just wanted to echo others who said that this is normal. I would agree with those who said that 10pm could be a bit late, and could perhaps be affecting his night time sleep, as by then he may well be over-tired. Good luck, he will sleep through eventually (although when people used to tell me that I didn't believe them!!)

busybee1983 Thu 11-Aug-11 09:22:44

sprogger Thu 11-Aug-11 09:33:52

Agree with the Weissbluth recc - there's really good info in there about the science of sleep patterns and some good practical advice on what habits might be leading to wakefulness. A late bedtime and lack of naps is a classic culprit.

Also, is your baby big or little for his age? I ask because my first child was big and slept through early, my second was small and didn't sleep through until she was nearly 10 months old, and my third was average and slept through at 5 months. It's a generalisation, but I do think the smaller babies can take a bit longer to sleep for longer periods.

Octaviapink Thu 11-Aug-11 12:05:29

Everyone has friends who lie cheerfully about their children sleeping through! You have to come to mumsnet to get the REAL truth! Not sleeping through at 10 months is perfectly normal. He should definitely still be having daytime naps though (sleep begets sleep at this age, so more naps may well improve his sleeping-ability!) and should definitely be going to bed before 10pm!

busybee1983 Thu 11-Aug-11 12:17:08

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now