Talk

Advanced search

Help..advice appreciated on 3.5yr dd

(6 Posts)
gottomakeaquiche Wed 10-Aug-11 11:01:18

Hello there

I have a happy busy DD as a younger sibling to DS who is 6. They love each other alot and play most of the time.

My problem is that my DD want to be a baby - fair enough, role playing etc etc but the downside is that she asks me if she can be 'baby tilly' "can I be baby Jake?" about 8 times every 5 minutes...no joke...

Sometimes she wants to be a 'big mummy' to her dollies - once again, all fine in roleplay but its now been about 3 weeks since this began and its not only hard to hear over and over again but is this ok? Does is mean she is in the middle of a habit? low on self esteem or just going through a phase?

Would love your thoughts..

Thanks

baabaapinksheep Wed 10-Aug-11 11:06:05

Don't really understand what you're worried about [consfused] seems normal to me.

FloraFinching Wed 10-Aug-11 11:08:59

dd1 is 4, and has always been really into make-believe, "being" various princesses, mummies, and story characters for all hours of the day. TBH i have always seen it as quite harmless.

the only thing that bothers me is when i say eg "dd1, please clean your teeth", and she says "i'm not dd1, i'm princess aurora, and princess aurora has already cleaned her teeth". At first i tried to incorporate her chosen persona into what i was asking her to do, but she's smarter than me and always found a way to weasel out of it.

we have a rule now that make-believe stops when mummy needs you to listen and do something, which works for the most part.

Mobly Wed 10-Aug-11 11:09:31

Just role play and using her imagination. Developmentally normal. smile

HoneyPablo Wed 10-Aug-11 11:11:50

Totally normal phase of development. Sounds like she needs other children to play with.

gottomakeaquiche Wed 10-Aug-11 19:02:19

Thanks everyone...God Bless Mumsnetters x x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now