Talk

Advanced search

3am waking and early starts, anyway to stop them?

(6 Posts)
sdotg Tue 09-Aug-11 14:44:58

DS is 19 months and consistently wakes at 3am crying but just needs a cuddle to resettle then without fail is up at 5:30am every day..
I could deal with either on their own but the combo is killing me.
He eats v well, is v active at nursery, it's not teeth as we have them all (early teether). He has a post lunch nap of 30 mins to 2 hours but the variation doesn't seem to impact overnight.
Usually asleep by 7:30pm
Any ideas?
I figured the 5:30am was probably due to sunrise although he does have blackout curtains.
3am waking can sometimes be 12 or 1am but 3am is a favourite.
Thanks

Twosugarsplease Tue 09-Aug-11 21:28:57

Hi, I feel for you so have to message you. I have a very nearly 2 yo, and I'm kinda still going through it now, he is an early waker, just started now waking at night again, advice I took worked and I still do it. I always have stuck to a routine of wind down before bath, get ready in room, bottle etc, not to let them go to sleep in your arms, they just wake up and wonder where the heck we have gone...so. All reassurance kisses, etc. Close door, if crying go back in 3 mins later, don't stay for more than 30 secs, repeat whatever it takes, apparently they just need to learn how to self soothe. They do learn from you quickly, be consistent..so if waking at night or early or both, just do this again and react as it's still night time if too early. Set yourself a time. We think 6-6.30 is fair enough. Hope I make sense, big hugs x

blowthewindsoutherly Tue 09-Aug-11 21:32:43

Mine is very fond of 5.30 too, and occasionally needs resettling in the early hours as well.

She's my second and my toddler can't handle being woken early at all. Taking the baby downstairs for breakfast etc would wake the older one and there would be hell to pay. As a result, when the baby wakes at this time she gets a variation of cuddle in bed, box of toys on the floor, breakfasty snacks with intermittent dozing from us until her sister gets up around 7.30. Not a solution but less hard on all of us!

musttidyupmusttidyup Tue 09-Aug-11 21:36:43

Feel for you - early starts are a killer, at least night wakes you can be pretty sure you'll get some more sleep at some point. Had this with ds2 and researched thoroughly and general consensus seems to he that there is very little you can do, just see it through. Alternate with dp/dh getting up so you don't go completely crazy.

musttidyupmusttidyup Tue 09-Aug-11 21:37:37

Forgot to say... It did pass although he still up at 6 but that's hell acceptable

sdotg Fri 12-Aug-11 08:33:33

Aww thanks all, bizarrely as soon as I posted the overnight wakings stopped, for the moment....it's like he reads my mind.
But a 5am start this morningzzzz
Gonna try the resettling over the weekend when there are more sleep catch up opportunities!
Will report back

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now