Talk

Advanced search

food fussiness or something more?

(4 Posts)
DontShootTheDog Sun 07-Aug-11 08:59:09

Ds1 is 3.5yrs. He has always been a very good eater, mostly vege, home made food (not particulalry exciting!). Recently he has had some extreme reactions to some foods and I am worried that my husband's weird to say the leastrelationship with food is impacting on him. DH is fussy and almost phobic about some foods; he smells plates from the dishwasher and often claims they smell 'funny', he has his own bowl to eat cereal from, he almost fainted when learning where milk comes from as a child FFS! He is always going 'eerr, yuck' etc about things, though tries to remember to curb it and I am very strict about it!

Some examples of DS's behaviour - eating a yoghurt recently he gagged/spat out and dribbled a mouthful as it had a 'lump' in it (peach actually DS) and couldn't swallow it, despite having been fine with yoghurts previously. More worrying, a friend was here breast feeding her tiny baby and he suddenly wouldn't eat his lunch, said he'd eat it when she had gone blush. Later told me her breast was 'dirty'. We have a 5 week old who I am EBF and he is fine with it confused. there have been other incidents where he has seemed repulsed by innocent food too.

Are 3 year olds fussy and weird about food or is he going to have issues?

BlueArmyGirl Sun 07-Aug-11 09:06:06

Lots of dc are faddy and fussy and their tastes change over time so it could be something and nothing. However, given the context of your Dh isues these changes might be indicative of something else going on - not that I am any sort of expert on food issues. Sounds like something to keep an eye on. Has DH ever had any help with his food issues?

Sleepglorioussleep Sun 07-Aug-11 12:31:01

I read somewhere that three or so is a key age for being fussy. It's evolutionary apparently, it would have been an advantage to be cautious at an age where our ancestors would have been venturing further from mum and coming across strange unfamiliar berries (or wooly mammoths or whatever!). Didn't help me practically but did help me by explaining dd's behaviour around food at that age.

DontShootTheDog Mon 08-Aug-11 14:17:22

Ah, thats interesting. Makes lots of sense, maybe can stop blaming Dh completely...

No, he has never sought help. Stubborn as a mule, he would probably think he was being perfectly reasonable and everyone else should get help for failing to be repulsed by these vile foods

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now