Talk

Advanced search

Books about behaviour/ discipline or parenting in general - recommendations please

(8 Posts)
Grockle Sat 06-Aug-11 22:37:10

For a friend (honestly, not me!) who has wilful spirited children wink

DF is frustrated by their behaviour but will tell them 12 times not to do something before following through with some strange unrelated consequence which takes the DC by surprise because, after 12 warnings they aren't expecting any consequence at all so they have a massive tantrum (understandably). DF doesn't want to upset the DC by being firm or bossy hmm

Is there a nice book that explains all this - about logical consequences and warnings and expectations? Or lovely parenting books that might help and make DF feel better.

moaningminniewhingesagain Sat 06-Aug-11 23:42:45

How to talk so kids will listen
The incredible years - webster stratton - lots of parenting courses based on this one, less twee than some, more for under 8's
Divas and dictators

All good ones IMHO. I concentrate on avoiding empty threats as they undermine you. She is the boss, and needs to act like it, easier said than done though. Mine are small yet so I know nada really grin

Grockle Sun 07-Aug-11 00:02:53

Thank you - I think How to Talk is a bit too American - I read it ages ago and think that, in this case, it might grate. But I will put it on the list with the others too. Thanks for the suggestions.

celadon Sun 07-Aug-11 00:30:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Grockle Sun 07-Aug-11 00:31:09

I tried so hard to like Unconditional Parenting but just couldn't. Maybe it was just more or less what I already did. I shall put on list for DF though, thanks

yawningbear Sun 07-Aug-11 09:34:23

Raising your Spirited Child & No Cry Discipline -Elizabeth Pantley may be worth a look, again maybe too American though. I found Divas and Dictators quite basic, kind of obvious common sense stuff that should be easy to implement for your pal. I haven't read Incredible years, but keep meaning to order it though as I am always seeing it being recommended. From what you say the suggestions in the Elizabeth Pantely book might appeal to your friend. HTH.

livinonaprayer Sun 07-Aug-11 12:07:32

Agree with other suggestions and would just like to throw in any by Christopher green, he has got different books for different age groups. Toddler taming was great, but he has done books for older kids too.

Grockle Sun 07-Aug-11 13:27:49

I think basic is ok... thank you. I have a great list now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now