Talk

Advanced search

Headbanging on floor in frustration at 12 months?

(8 Posts)
Inspirachion Sat 06-Aug-11 20:42:02

We have a hard wooden floor too. Ouch! I try to distract rather than intervene but he's been doing this several times a day for a week or two.
He's at the almost walking/can almost reach stuff/ can almost run the show stage so gets frustrated regularly.
A worry or normal? How should we respond when he does this?

tryingtobemarypoppins2 Sun 07-Aug-11 21:25:18

This lasted about 4 months for us. The only thing that worked was moving him to the carpet when he was about to do it, but without saying anything and giving the behaviour attention. It is all about frustration, poor babies!

Inspirachion Mon 08-Aug-11 20:17:00

Thanks for the reply and especially for saying it didn't last long for your dc as that's encouraging to hear smile

Beaurevage Mon 08-Aug-11 20:27:05

My DNephew used to do this as well, out of frustration. He's very mild mannered (now 4 yrs) so it wasn't banging but simply placing his head on the floor. But I understand that it's very normal.

Poor babies is right!

milkjetmum Mon 08-Aug-11 20:57:38

My 10mo DD has just started this over the last week but she seems to be trying to bite the floor in frustration... Nice :-/

milkjetmum Mon 08-Aug-11 20:57:38

My 10mo DD has just started this over the last week but she seems to be trying to bite the floor in frustration... Nice :-/

digitalgirl Mon 08-Aug-11 21:03:15

My DS used to do this. Unfortunately the best way to deal with this is to completely ignore it. Even in public. Which goes against every maternal instinct you have. Eventually he would get up off the floor and come to me for a cuddle - which I would give. It stopped pretty soon once he realised it hurt and he wasn't getting any attention for it. He's nearly three now and only does it v v rarely during a tantrum.

earshot Mon 08-Aug-11 22:10:30

My DS used to do this too around 12 months. I read somewhere that it can actually be weirdly pleasurable for babies - don't know whether I believe that! My hv pointed out at this age they wouldn't do it if it really hurt and to ignore it. We did and it did pass (after a couple of months of waiting for me to turn around before deliberately headbutting the wall hmm)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now