Talk

Advanced search

Unsettled without dummy

(4 Posts)
Nicshev Sat 06-Aug-11 06:08:36

Hi everyone I'm new to this and this is my first post so any advice would be much appreciated!!

I have a 16 week old baby who is currently on a routine where she goes down around 8.30 every night. She has cut out her night time feed and usually sleeps til around 7 or 8 am. However, she gets very restless about 4 times a night which means I still need to get up to give her, her dummy.. I have tried leaving her to see if she is able to settle herself but this leads to her waking up completely (still settles with dummy after this tho)

I know I am very lucky to have her sleep this much at all but does anyone have any tips on this or experienced anything similar?

PerryCombover Sat 06-Aug-11 06:17:34

I know nothing but here goes.
At 16 weeks I think I was still feeding a bottle at 11 as a dream feed and that seemed to make sure that we/she had a full nights sleep.
This also seemed a decent time to ensure she was still dry clean etc.

I'm sure there will be someone better along soon but 16 weeks sounds quite little to me now for 12 hrs sleep straight

HarperSeven Sat 06-Aug-11 06:40:21

4 months seems to be the point at which some babies do this waking up for the dummy thing... my DS did - read up on lots of internet advice - and decided to get rid of it completely.

We went cold turkey - the first 2-3 nights were awful and then he forgot about it. What you shouldn't do is take it away for a night and then give it back, they learn that you will eventually cave in if they scream for long enough. We replaced the the dummy with a little cuddly toy so he could have some comfort, but wouldn't need us to put it back in his mouth. Good luck & hope you get some uninterrupted sleep soon.

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Sat 06-Aug-11 09:51:14

we read that too and tried the same. After two weeks of dummy cold turkey, sceaming for hours at nap and bedtime and major night time regression we gave it back. DS is now 2.9 and still has it for sleeping, but he goes to sleep ANYWHERE and immediately and still ha a good 2-3 hour nap during the day as well as sleeping 12 hours at night. I love that goddamn dummy.

Dream feed might be an idea though - but at 4months they all have a bit of a major sleep regression anyway, it will pass!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now