Talk

Advanced search

You all sound like you know what I am going through ...

(4 Posts)
Shabbalicious Fri 05-Aug-11 22:03:38

Familiar story to you all from the sounds of it ... my ds is nearly 6. His behaviour - since turning 2 - is nothing short of horrific. He turns from a loving affectionate and calm child when alone with one of us, to a crazy dog, sometimes due to the slightest frustration or provocation, sometimes just because he is bored, and usually when we are in public or he is with his brother (aged 3). He attacks me and his brother. The humiliation in public is horrendous - I just have to suck it up and keep as calm as I can. He was diagnosed with ADHD last month, but I remain unconvinced. When the psychiatrist described it, I realised that I probably had/have it. I overcome all my probs and went to Oxford and career success, so it did not hold me back. My ds has lots of my character traits, but not as strongly, but his explosive temper is like nothing I have ever seen. The psych mentioned something called 'Explosive Child' syndrome. I googled it, then bought a book by Ross Greene about this. Have of you had this mentioned to you? Other than the 'calm tent' (which I will now try - we currently send him to his room), have you any tips? I also lie in my bed at night worrying about him - what on earth will his life be like if I can't help him control his temper. All thoughts welcome.

exoticfruits Fri 05-Aug-11 22:12:55

What is he like at school or with other people, away from you?

TanyaBranning Sat 06-Aug-11 13:40:57

Hi Shabba.

I was going to ask the same - is he like this at school? Is his behaviour worse in certain circumstances? Have you identified triggers?

I also have a very anrgy 6 yr old (with Asperger's), so I do sympathise.

x

exoticfruits Sat 06-Aug-11 13:43:08

I was hoping that she would come back-it is difficult to advise without more information.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now