Talk

Advanced search

4 year old at bedtime

(3 Posts)
Meek Fri 05-Aug-11 21:11:43

Hi all,

I'd really appreciate some advice if anyone has time. I have a wonderful 4 and a half year old boy who has rarely given me many problems. He has always been a great sleeper...in bed by half 7 and always asleep by 8. However for the last week he has really struggled to go down. He hasn't been asleep before half 9 all week and keeps saying he doesn't want to be alone and he wants a 'person' to stay with him. He clings like a limpit to me or my husband when we leave the room. When I left just now I heard him get striaght up again, so went in and told him to get back into bed and he pulled all the covers over himself and started crying. When I went to try and comfort him he started pushing me away and telling me to get out?!! He wasn't screaming or shouting just very upset. I've left him now and I think he is settling but I just don't know whats causing it. I've asked if anything has upset him or scared him but he says no. I felt at the beginning of the week it was probably to do with the heat but thats not been a problem the last 2 nights. Can anyone shed any light on this? Has anyone been through anything similar? I'm at a loss as to what to try with him. Thanks xx

PeppermintPasty Fri 05-Aug-11 21:36:21

He's the same age as mine and mine too has always been amazing, sounds identical to yours re bedtimes. Sometimes lately he tells me he's scared of the dark but I just tell him in a reassuring voice that there's no need to be as it's not dark in his room-he has a night light. I wondered if it was big school looming and being "grown up" that causes these things, or perhaps he just had a nightmare and can't even explain it?

With my boy I've found that not giving an inch(that sounds hard but I don't mean like that)makes him realise it's all ok and he's gone off to sleep. I think if they pick up that you're even slightly concerned or that their behaviour makes you stray slightly from the routine then they will play on that.
Lots of cuddles and reassurance before bed and during the tucking in seems to help.

Meek Fri 05-Aug-11 21:58:17

Ah thank you. I too wondered if it may be a reaction to starting school. He's always very positive about it when I bring it up but I guess you just don't know whats going on in those little heads. He said to me tonight that he doesn't like the dark but he has a dimmer switch in his room and I always leave the light on a little and hes free to turn it up more if he likes. I suppose its just another phase that hopefully will pass.x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now