Talk

Advanced search

Made appointment with doc to discuss my 3yr old behaviour

(4 Posts)
heathermumof3 Fri 05-Aug-11 16:56:37

Ok I have 3 wounderful children but my DS is the middle child and is so so naughty. He is out of control.
I have tried star charts, naughty steps, sending to bed, taking toys of him, shouting at him, ignoring him etc. Everything you can think of I have done it.

My DS constantly climbing on things, voilently attacking his brother and sister, saying horried things, chuck things, hits me and my DH, carriers on doing things when we tell him not too and one of the more worrying ones running off before now striaght across the road with out looking.

I am going doctors on Wednesday with him to try to see if there is anything I am missing. Am I doing the right thing or is he extreme behavouir normal. My oldest DS was never like this and they have not been brought up any different.

I was woundering of these symptons are sign of ADHD and if so do I go to my doctor or health vistor. Also if I do this they don't get scocial services involed do they?

Hope some one can help

SilveryMoon Fri 05-Aug-11 17:03:17

Well, I think each child is completely different, so you can't expect them to be the same and act the same just because they have been raised and treated the same.
Have you looked at the symptoms of ADHD?
Does he fidget a lot? Flap his hands or feet about, never being able to stay still. Talk about the same thing over and over, sometimes inappropriately?
Have a lack of awareness on things like personal space? Is he always right in someones face?

My ds1 has just turned 4 (yesterday) and none of the normal things work well on him. He doesn't care about stickers, he'll take himself to bed if he doesn't want to do something, he'll sit in the naughty corner all day, he helps me bag up his toys if I tell him I'm taking them away, he just doesn't care, and he is often quite a bit naughty, but he doesn't have a condition.

I don't really know what to say.
If your instincts are telling you there is a condition or a bigger issue than a lively toddler, then you might be right.
By all means, go to the gp, it can't hurt.
Good luck smile

heathermumof3 Fri 05-Aug-11 17:10:31

Thank you SilveryMoon. I am just at my wits end. If he carries on lie he is he serouisly going to hurt himself or some one eles. To be honest I have believed in ADHD thought it was made up. I know it is very naive of me to think that it was just my thought at the time
I know after reading up on it how wrong I was and feel awful for thinking that.
He does fidget alot, and have me repea stuff over and over again. But he has only just turned 3 last month. So not too sure if it's his age or sumet under lying.
I know most of it is down to jealously. He was not really the baby for long his sister is 18 months. When my DD was borne she had a few medical issues so needed alot of attention and hospital stays. So I think this could be a issue. But even if it is I don't know how to resolve it.

SilveryMoon Fri 05-Aug-11 17:16:20

Well, I think if you are struggling with his behaviour at the moment, for whatever reason, be it ADHD or anything else, then a chat with the gp or even your health visitor is probably a sensible idea.
My friend's ds has been having assessments. He is 4/5 and they are thinking ADHD, autism, dyphraxia and something else, but he shows a mixture of all of them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now