Talk

Advanced search

how boys wee

(15 Posts)
kphr Thu 04-Aug-11 22:05:21

Bit of a blunt question: does a little boy need to pull back his foreskin when he starts to do stand-up wees? Partner says yes all boys and men do, but son (aged nearly 3) can't do it and I'm not sure he really needs to. (But he does prefer stand-up wees, as it's quicker than sitting down.)

fivegomadindorset Thu 04-Aug-11 22:06:29

Don't think so, DS also three just aims (after I showed him how)

Valpollicella Thu 04-Aug-11 22:07:24

Erm....no!

Why the jeff would they need to?

And how does it differ from them sitting down?

kphr Thu 04-Aug-11 22:12:05

Thanks for brilliant quick replies.

typsical Thu 04-Aug-11 22:18:38

Definitely not. DS (nearly 3) most certainly doesn't. (And neither does DH, I just checked!) In fact, I'm sure you're not supposed to move the foreskin back until they around 6 years old, as it can cause damage... HTH smile

LittlePushka Thu 04-Aug-11 22:21:31

Mine did not to begin with but did so after becoming more concerned with aim. I cannot tell you if they did this of their own accord or whether DH explained the science bit to them...! It happened at around 3.5-4yrs i'd say

It does make a difference - as the wee does not sprinkle about so much - though that does not matter so much if they are sitting down. Also if they are doing wild wees, a less sprinkly wee arcs higher and further....apparently that does matter, it appears to be a fraternal competition.....hmm

solidgoldbrass Thu 04-Aug-11 22:22:18

At what point are you supposed to start being firm about doing it standing up? Because DS is 6 and doesn't, yet.

fivegomadindorset Thu 04-Aug-11 22:24:17

DH still wees sitting down but in his words is covering the options grin

Valpollicella Thu 04-Aug-11 22:30:03

I don't think there is a firm age tbh SGB...more about how comfortable they are about sitting vs standing?

LittlePushka Thu 04-Aug-11 22:30:07

Dont think yo have to be firm about it at all! They can surely sit or stand as they like....some men sit to wee.

Seona1973 Fri 05-Aug-11 11:35:47

ds started weeing standing up from age 3 - was daytime trained at 2 1/2. I prefer him standing up as when he does it sitting down he has to strip from the waist down or he soaks everything. No need to do anything with the foreskin when weeing. Ds's only just retracts now (age 4 1/2) so when he has a shower I tell him to move it back a bit before he washes/rinses it.

Notanexcitingname Fri 05-Aug-11 13:31:33

You should never pull the foreskin back until it is ready. When they are born the foreskin is adhered to the glans penis and loosens as they play with it get older. As someone said above, pulling it back does improve aim, but tbqh ds1's aim would be improved if he looked at what he was doing hmm.

Once it can be retracted, it should be cleaned <dh's job>

Fizzylemonade Fri 05-Aug-11 15:26:25

I have 2 boys, one 8 who does pull his foreskin back because he can, and one who is 5 who can't do that yet.

It became apparent ds1 could do it whilst playing in the bath wink

Sitting down for wees is better as less likely to spray the wall, seat, sink, floor, brother grin

Both mine stand but they started to stand when they could put their willie over the edge of the porcelain.

Nagoo Fri 05-Aug-11 15:31:09

SGB I'd actively encourage the sitting down. saves the bathroom sinking of piss it's easier. In other countries men are encouraged to sit.

I'm feeling like an expert on this as have spent the last few days googling, as DS's foreskin till very much attached, and he's 4. It is self cleaning, so you don't need to worry about it until it can be retracted. They willy pulling stage helps it to get loosened and come away from the glans bit by bit. It will detatch any time from 2 and might not be able to completely retract until 18, dependent on how much fiddling they do grin

The only time things might need helping along is if they are getting any pain or infection.

typsical Fri 05-Aug-11 23:01:14

Fizzy As I read your post, I noticed DS's beautiful self portrait is covered in it!! sad DH's fault for placing the potty by that wall!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now