Talk

Advanced search

What should a 17month old be doing/saying

(12 Posts)
StrandedBear Thu 04-Aug-11 17:35:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

holyShmoley Thu 04-Aug-11 18:20:44

my twins had about twenty words at eighteen months. I don't think you can really force them to learn, just give opportunities.
She sounds normal, and i'll absolutely bet that if you wrote a list of the words she knows today there will be a longer list in two weeks time.

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Thu 04-Aug-11 18:25:19

At 18 months according to MN they should have between 5 and 20 words, no sentences either, so IMO (IME too) she is doing quite well. Try to relax, it is not a competition.
FYI my 18 months old is not doing so well but is still bright. (or so I say wink)

Waytooslow Thu 04-Aug-11 20:29:47

My son is 19 months and can only say car and ball. I'm not worried though. I see him learning and developing in other ways - and he takes me by surprise sometimes by what he's absorbed and comprehended! He only started walking at 18 months so he's doing the "main" things slower than most.

Sirzy Thu 04-Aug-11 20:31:31

I wouldnt worry at all, sounds perfectly normal to me.

For comparision DS had only about 10 words at that age, at 21 months he now has to many to count. I am sure he swallowed a dictionary about a month back!!

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Fri 05-Aug-11 04:17:48

my ds is 17m and only has a few words. By this i mean fairly recognisable sounds that are only ever used in context. He says other things we understand but that aren't quite right (eg he says "more" if he wants something regardless of weather he's already had some).

He's picking things up really quickly. His gross motor skills are fantastic...he can climb anything. He copies us and play imaginativly. His general attitude is lovely which is the most important thing to me.

Tbh i think you are worrying and over thinking it too much. Put down the flash cards and enjoy your toddler! A few weeks makes a load of difference at this age. smile

TheRealMBJ Fri 05-Aug-11 06:14:47

DSis 19 months old and only has about 10 words and they aren't clear. Only DH and I can really understand him.I'm not worried really, he's learning 2 languages and it is clear that he is developing.

It sounds like your DD is doing just fine. smile

ZuzuandZara Fri 05-Aug-11 10:20:28

one of my dts can say 'ah ah ah'
the other one can say 'ah bah, ah bah'

I shouldn't worry too much!

Continuum Fri 05-Aug-11 13:16:09

I know exactly what ds was saying at that age as I did a blog post on it and still have it, love online diary aspect!

ds could say car very clearly, was just practising da-da and I suspected suu was shoe!! So about 3 words!

He's 7 now and ahead in vocabulary and reading.

Just relax, she'll pick it up!

PeppermintPasty Fri 05-Aug-11 21:29:34

My God! Seriously, that's good. My 16 mo babbles mostly, she says cat dog mummy daddy and her big bro's name but it's only us that can recognise it I think. I was a bit concerned at some point (for 5 mins or so!) but then I stopped worrying as she's bright as a button, cheeky happy and adventurous. It'll all come. I spent ages with my boy-you do when it's your first don't you-doing everything I could. I don't have the time now but I teach her in other, faster ways!!

Casmama Fri 05-Aug-11 21:35:12

Please don't worry, she sounds like she is doing really well. My ds is 23 months now and was definitely not saying that many words at 17 months but now seems to be picking up several new words every day (time to watch the language!)

tholeon Sat 06-Aug-11 10:32:52

DS had no real words at 17 months, just animal noises and made up ones! He is 2.2 now and talks in sentences, & I don't count how many words any more. I did get myself a bit worried for a bit though. Your DD sounds fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now