Talk

Advanced search

Weaning DS off dummy

(7 Posts)
emee Thu 04-Aug-11 13:24:08

Hi, we are trying to wean our DS (almost 2yrs) from his dummy.

Does anyone have any tricks/suggestions, especially at night when he is at his clingiest (is that a word?)

Would be incredibly grateful. Running out of ideas.........hope...........sleep smile

kw13 Thu 04-Aug-11 13:33:05

I have a 5 year old DS who weaned himself from using a dummy at just gone 4 (just used for sleeping). I had wondered whether or not to force the issue before that but wondered why? Why shouldn't a child use a dummy to get to sleep if they like it? And it helps? It doesn't do any harm. From about 3 onwards he would sometimes not bother with it - but I say leave as is! If being used during the day as well then you could try the whole 'now that you are a big boy' routine...Good luck with whatever you decide!

foxy123 Thu 04-Aug-11 13:37:32

My daughter bit a hole in hers and didn't like it after that. You could cut a little hole in it and try that way?

grazzenger Thu 04-Aug-11 13:43:39

our son used dummies until just before 4. we just kept gently asking him if he wanted to stop but didn't force it. his best friend over the road is a year older and he got to the stage where he hid them from him. then he gave them up almost from one day to the next. don't force it, i'd say. he's not even 2 yet smile

Growlithe Thu 04-Aug-11 13:44:03

My DD has just turned 3, and I didn't think I would ever get the dummy from her. But a couple of weeks ago I just happened to mention a friend of mine had got her 2 daughters, both younger than DD, to give up their dummies. DD then just said 'I'm giving mine up'. Since then she has not used it for bed (but needed a bit more comfort at bedtime for the first couple of nights) and only a couple of times in the day, but hides it with her hand when she does as she seems embarrassed! My advice would be therefore not to rush him, just wait until he is capable of making his little decision for himself then give him lots of support and encouragement.

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Sat 06-Aug-11 09:55:10

my DS is 2.9 and also still has it for sleeping. At various points I've thought about giving it up but he sleeps so well and easily with it, the "trouble" is when he naps out and about in his buggy and he's pretty tall for his age so looks like a four year old with a dummy in but meh.

Was thinking of getting rid of it before DC2 arrives just after his 3rd birthday but we've got big bed and potty training to do before then, then the baby coming then potentially a move to America so I'll leave one pieve of security in his life for now and probably just let him drop it when he wants to

kittensliveupstairs Sat 06-Aug-11 11:38:41

DD was only allowed hers in bed or nap time. She was so attatched to them she wouldn't even consider giving them up. The commando dummy fairy came and got them one night.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now