Talk

Advanced search

Good first books for 8 month old baby?

(16 Posts)
Tconvert Thu 04-Aug-11 09:03:40

I keep going into ELC or Waterstones to buy my 8month DS new books and not having a clue which ones are good or best for him right now, so leaving empty handed...

Any suggestions?

allhailtheaubergine Thu 04-Aug-11 09:07:49

The 'That's Not My...' range is perfect for an 8 month old. That's Not My Pirate / Bus / Dinosaur / Fairy / Robot / Penguin etc etc etc etc

Dear Zoo is another wonderful book for small children.

At that age my two also enjoyed those little square boxes of little books - you get various characters... let me see if I can find what I mean...here we are.

Tillyscoutsmum Thu 04-Aug-11 09:10:41

yy to the That's Not My ... series. Both of mine also loved Night Night Baby and Peek a Zoo/Peekaboo Baby flap books here

Ciske Thu 04-Aug-11 09:12:19

Touchy feely books are great at that age, or anything that's interactive with flaps and pull out sections.

I recommend Eric Carle, who also wrote The Amazing Caterpillar. DD was mad about one of this books called 'This is not my cat' at that age, about a boy who goes all over the world to find his cat.

Themumsnot Thu 04-Aug-11 09:14:19

Peepo by Janet and Allen Ahlberg is an ideal first book. Babies love pictures of babies, their Baby's catalogue is also great. Anything with text that has a good rhythm is ideal and you need to enjoy the words too - you will be reading them over and over. Have a look at the baby books at Red House from the ones on there I can definitely recommend Dear Zoo as an essential classic. Buggy books are great as well - they will get chewed as much as read but it is all part of the process of familiarising themselves with books. Book People is also a great source of cheap books for babies and toddlers, I have bought hundreds of books from them both over the years. In a lot of ways it doesn't matter what you read to a baby - its the fact that you are reading and sharing books together that counts - even if at first they are more interested in eating them.
Enjoy!

TheMitfordsMaid Thu 04-Aug-11 09:14:28

Definitely Dear Zoo! A real favourite in this house. Even my 5 year old still likes it occasionally and reads it to the little ones.

To be honest, at this age you could read anything. I used to read "we're going on a bear hunt" when mine were babies and they just like to listen to our voices, so choose something you like to read and go from there.

tigerlillyd02 Thu 04-Aug-11 12:22:36

My ds loved any books that made sounds at that age and still does!
I find anything with repetative words helps bring on their speech also.
Oh and also the babys first words books! We just have the one - I think it's 100 words but because we started reading it quite early on, he knew them all by about 13 months and showed a great interest in applying the pictures he saw to things he sees in day to day life.

Tconvert Thu 04-Aug-11 12:23:48

Brilliant. Thanks all

noviceoftheday Thu 04-Aug-11 12:31:55

Definitely the "That's not my..." Plus dear zoo plus the "baby touch" books. These all have a story for you to read and something for baby to do - feel/touch/lift flap etc. I wouldn't get them from elc or waterstones either - amazon and the book people are much cheaper!!

WorrisomeHeart Thu 04-Aug-11 21:50:23

Another vote for the 'Thats Not My...' series, especially the Tiger one, DS adores it! We also have a big book of animals that I think was from M&S and the photos are so bright he loves gumming flicking through it!

emmyloo2 Fri 05-Aug-11 15:05:22

I have a "That's not my baby" book which is a touch and feel book and my 8.5 mth old loves it. He automatically touches the right parts of the book now. I have another Baby Einstein touch book about farm animals which he loves. Other than that I just read him lots of other kids books so he can listen to my voice.

ellesabe Fri 05-Aug-11 20:44:07

My dd loves Peepo and The Very Hungry Catepillar. Have you received your bookstart pack yet? At certain ages all kids are entitled to a couple of free books...8 months being the first! We got ours on Wednesday and they're good! Ask at your local library.

Squigglywiggly Fri 05-Aug-11 20:53:19

My baby is 8 months old and loves:
Dear Zoo - just started to lift flaps
Each Peach Pear Plum
Peepo
Monkey and Me by Emily Gravett (her fave)
The Hungry Caterpillar

Woodlands Fri 05-Aug-11 20:58:56

Definitely the That's Not My books and other touchy-feel ones. The Gruffalo is a big hit in our house. Things with flaps - Dear Zoo, WHere's Spot, etc etc.

pointydog Fri 05-Aug-11 21:02:33

Hairy McLairy (from Donaldons's Dairy) books.

Wibbly Pig

Gastonladybird Fri 05-Aug-11 21:04:34

Dear zoo or any of the ladybird baby touch ones - those were a huge hit with dd

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now