Talk

Advanced search

Good first books for 8 month old baby?

(16 Posts)
Tconvert Thu 04-Aug-11 09:03:40

I keep going into ELC or Waterstones to buy my 8month DS new books and not having a clue which ones are good or best for him right now, so leaving empty handed...

Any suggestions?

allhailtheaubergine Thu 04-Aug-11 09:07:49

The 'That's Not My...' range is perfect for an 8 month old. That's Not My Pirate / Bus / Dinosaur / Fairy / Robot / Penguin etc etc etc etc

Dear Zoo is another wonderful book for small children.

At that age my two also enjoyed those little square boxes of little books - you get various characters... let me see if I can find what I mean...here we are.

Tillyscoutsmum Thu 04-Aug-11 09:10:41

yy to the That's Not My ... series. Both of mine also loved Night Night Baby and Peek a Zoo/Peekaboo Baby flap books here

Ciske Thu 04-Aug-11 09:12:19

Touchy feely books are great at that age, or anything that's interactive with flaps and pull out sections.

I recommend Eric Carle, who also wrote The Amazing Caterpillar. DD was mad about one of this books called 'This is not my cat' at that age, about a boy who goes all over the world to find his cat.

Themumsnot Thu 04-Aug-11 09:14:19

Peepo by Janet and Allen Ahlberg is an ideal first book. Babies love pictures of babies, their Baby's catalogue is also great. Anything with text that has a good rhythm is ideal and you need to enjoy the words too - you will be reading them over and over. Have a look at the baby books at Red House from the ones on there I can definitely recommend Dear Zoo as an essential classic. Buggy books are great as well - they will get chewed as much as read but it is all part of the process of familiarising themselves with books. Book People is also a great source of cheap books for babies and toddlers, I have bought hundreds of books from them both over the years. In a lot of ways it doesn't matter what you read to a baby - its the fact that you are reading and sharing books together that counts - even if at first they are more interested in eating them.
Enjoy!

TheMitfordsMaid Thu 04-Aug-11 09:14:28

Definitely Dear Zoo! A real favourite in this house. Even my 5 year old still likes it occasionally and reads it to the little ones.

To be honest, at this age you could read anything. I used to read "we're going on a bear hunt" when mine were babies and they just like to listen to our voices, so choose something you like to read and go from there.

tigerlillyd02 Thu 04-Aug-11 12:22:36

My ds loved any books that made sounds at that age and still does!
I find anything with repetative words helps bring on their speech also.
Oh and also the babys first words books! We just have the one - I think it's 100 words but because we started reading it quite early on, he knew them all by about 13 months and showed a great interest in applying the pictures he saw to things he sees in day to day life.

Tconvert Thu 04-Aug-11 12:23:48

Brilliant. Thanks all

noviceoftheday Thu 04-Aug-11 12:31:55

Definitely the "That's not my..." Plus dear zoo plus the "baby touch" books. These all have a story for you to read and something for baby to do - feel/touch/lift flap etc. I wouldn't get them from elc or waterstones either - amazon and the book people are much cheaper!!

WorrisomeHeart Thu 04-Aug-11 21:50:23

Another vote for the 'Thats Not My...' series, especially the Tiger one, DS adores it! We also have a big book of animals that I think was from M&S and the photos are so bright he loves gumming flicking through it!

emmyloo2 Fri 05-Aug-11 15:05:22

I have a "That's not my baby" book which is a touch and feel book and my 8.5 mth old loves it. He automatically touches the right parts of the book now. I have another Baby Einstein touch book about farm animals which he loves. Other than that I just read him lots of other kids books so he can listen to my voice.

ellesabe Fri 05-Aug-11 20:44:07

My dd loves Peepo and The Very Hungry Catepillar. Have you received your bookstart pack yet? At certain ages all kids are entitled to a couple of free books...8 months being the first! We got ours on Wednesday and they're good! Ask at your local library.

Squigglywiggly Fri 05-Aug-11 20:53:19

My baby is 8 months old and loves:
Dear Zoo - just started to lift flaps
Each Peach Pear Plum
Peepo
Monkey and Me by Emily Gravett (her fave)
The Hungry Caterpillar

Woodlands Fri 05-Aug-11 20:58:56

Definitely the That's Not My books and other touchy-feel ones. The Gruffalo is a big hit in our house. Things with flaps - Dear Zoo, WHere's Spot, etc etc.

pointydog Fri 05-Aug-11 21:02:33

Hairy McLairy (from Donaldons's Dairy) books.

Wibbly Pig

Gastonladybird Fri 05-Aug-11 21:04:34

Dear zoo or any of the ladybird baby touch ones - those were a huge hit with dd

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: