Talk

Advanced search

whining 13 month old, can I nip this new behavior in the bud?

(4 Posts)
imisssleepandwine Wed 03-Aug-11 08:30:26

Our 13 months old used to sleep through most night but has recently started to wake up 4 to 5 times a night to have a winge, she can keep it up for an hour. She's got a full set of teeth already, she's not sick and she's not hungry. She eats really well and takes 1 nap between 1 and 2 hours a day. Goes down easy but then from 2am until 6am she's up and down.

She's doesn't even cry she just gives out and shouts and whines. We have been going in each time to settle her but i think that encouraged her more! She's also started to be more clingy and whining during the day which is probably due to the lack of sleep at night.

Any tips... I really don't want this new "phase" to become the norm

Cocole Wed 03-Aug-11 19:22:39

We experienced something similar when our daughter was 16 months old. I believe she is going though a phase of separation anxiety... which comes and goes. We nipped this behavior in the bud by simply ignoring her whining. I believe you can tell if she is having a nightmare or not... I would treat nightmares differently to the whining.
Believe me it is tough but it does pass! Just do not play to her tune. Good luck!

imisssleepandwine Thu 04-Aug-11 10:21:10

cocole thanks for coming back to me.. We've been ignoring her during the day when she's starts whining and it seems to be working but last night we didn't go into her and she just shouted for 45 minutes then started crying. we'll keep trying... Im sure it won't last but we'd love a nights sleep... fingers crossed that this is a brief phase..

ChablisorSancerre Thu 04-Aug-11 11:13:39

Agree with Cocole. My now 2.5 DS did this for a few months around a year ago. After a few nights I decided to just ignore it, which drove DP nuts, but gut instinct told me if I pandered to him then it would become the norm.

A few weeks of heavily disrupted sleep then all back to normal, so stick it out. You know yourself by now if she really needs comforting or is just having a winge!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now