Talk

Advanced search

17 month old keeps hitting me - help please!

(4 Posts)
Saintsfan Sun 31-Jul-11 12:05:45

I am reaching the end of my tether with my 17 month old son who keeps hitting me. It seems sometimes out of temper/frustration and sometimes I think out of over-excitement. Sometimes I can't see any reason at all. Each time he does it I tell him "No, you don't hit Mummy" but either he doesn't understand or he just ignores my telling him off. I don't know what to do to be honest as telling him off doesn't work. Is he too young for time outs and naughty step type discipline? He also throws things a lot and that is pretty frustrating too. Whether it's food or toys etc, and the same thing again. I tell him "No" but it doesn't stop him. Has anyone got any advice?

RabidRabbit Sun 31-Jul-11 12:09:08

Ignore it. DD went through a phase like this about 6 months ago and then stopped hitting me/her toys etc and started hitting herself/banging her head on the floor. I went from trying my best to explain to her why she shouldn't hit mummy or herself etc - but she didn't understand and it did nothing but annoy me even more when she wouldn't listen.

So I started to ignore it. She stopped soon after she stopped getting any sort of reaction from me and hasn't done it since.

ppeatfruit Sun 31-Jul-11 13:01:59

As an ex nanny\C.M. nursery teacher and M. of 3.It IS a normal stage which as rabid says they grow out of esp. if they don't get hit themselves or watch a lot of it on T.V.

The way to deal with it is to watch him like a hawk and try and get in BEFORE he does it rather than after.( I don't think that 17mths is the right age for the type of discipline you mention 'cos he won't understand it).

So follow him when you're at baby groups etc. Stop and hold his hand before he can hit you or his toys and say something like "AAAH lovely mummy" while making him stroke you!! or"lovely toys" make his toys talk as well saying in a high voice 'oy that hurt me' and do pretend cries!!

Saintsfan Sun 31-Jul-11 14:01:57

Thanks both RabidRabbit & ppeatfruit, I will try ignoring him and stopping him before he starts. I thought he was too young for the "time out" kind of stuff because I don't think he understands why I'm getting upset. Thanks again - I'll let you know if it works... x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now