Talk

Advanced search

4 months old. help with sittin up

(9 Posts)
Ama28 Sat 30-Jul-11 12:02:24

my boy is just over 4 months old. he trys to get his head up sometimes, and we do loads of tummy time, and i sit him between my legs like i was shown at our baby group. he is quite a heavy boy and is very chunky, so i wonder will this extra weight stop him sitting or is there anything else i can do to help him sit up? make more time for tummy time and sitting or what about those bimbo chairs? do they work?

IAmTheCookieMonster Sat 30-Jul-11 12:10:15

My niece is a lot chunkier thank ds and was much more steady sitting up. Ds loved his bumbo chair, he was never happy lying down and as long as they can support their own head they can go in them.

Ama28 Sat 30-Jul-11 12:16:32

do you think that bumbo (not bimbo - sorry) chair helped him learn to sit himself up too, or does it just help keep them steady when they can already do it?

sunndydays Sat 30-Jul-11 17:28:25

They can use a Bumbo from when they can hold their heads up, it's for before they can sit, dd liked it for short periods of time.

Also I wouldn't worry about trying to teach him to sit, he will do it when he is ready

Albrecht Sat 30-Jul-11 18:38:48

I don't think you can really teach them to sit or crawl or walk, they just do it when ready. Providing lots of opportunity and different things to look at and play with at different angles will give them the chance to do it when they want.

Do you know anyone with a bumbo that you could try out as some babies don't like them. Ds was fairly skinny and his legs always got stuck, trying to get him out was a two person job, so if he has chunky thighs it might not last you long either.

crispyseaweed Sat 30-Jul-11 18:42:50

My 3 babies all sat up at 6 months onwards not 4 months... so give him time... he is still bit young for sitting up unaided.

Octaviapink Sat 30-Jul-11 19:03:11

Gross motor skills (sitting up, crawling, walking etc) are inherited, not learnt - it's to do with when the lower back muscles develop. 4 months is young to be sitting - six months is more common.

Ama28 Sat 30-Jul-11 19:29:58

cool - thanks everyone. i wont worry too much about it. he does have very chunky legs too, would prob panic like a madman if he got stuck in one... hahaha poor fella

milkyjo Mon 01-Aug-11 09:53:36

My DS sat up on his own from nearly 7 months, it was an overnight thing. One day he would just wobble over immediately, the next day he was sitting playing for 45 minutes! He hated the bumbo so I didn't persevere with it. He hates tummy time and before he could sit hated lying down. So I carried him around all day long for about 3-4 weeks! And he then just sat on his own, so it wasn't like he needed loads of practice, just a bit of confidence and support - they are super fast learners!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now