Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone got exceptionally tall children?

(16 Posts)
Alphabetsy Sat 30-Jul-11 00:11:30

Just measured mine and my DS aged 4 years and 9 months is 121 cm and my DD ages 15 months is 156 cm - both of these are a long way over the 99.6th percentile line in their red books!! My son is due to start reception in Sept and as one of the oldest anyway looked way way taller than the rest of his class mates at the settling in session (about a head a least above the tallest!!). My DH and I are both tall - 6'5 and 5'8 respectively but if our children are both so far off the top of the growth charts how tall will they end up? Will this be difficult for them? My gut instincts are that being so different from their peers could cause problems as they get older - perhaps especially for DD. Also people assume they are older than they are and have higher expectations of them. Does anyone have any experiences to share? Thanks

spiderslegs Sat 30-Jul-11 00:21:55

I imagine they'll both grow to be 11' and be ostracised by society.

Their brains will be bigger too.

HTH.

BluddyMoFo Sat 30-Jul-11 00:30:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HairExtensions Sat 30-Jul-11 01:42:08

My 3 DDs are all quite tall. I'll measure them in the morning and let you what height they all are. Dad is 6'6" and I'm 5'4"

The main issues at the moment are people thinking they are older than they are esp dd1 (6yrs) and dd3 (2.9yrs) dd3 also wants to play with children who are older but her size or smaller and they often make this hmm face at her as obv her language etc is not at the same level as theirs is (although perfectly normal for her age). I do feel quite sad/upset when this happens.

I also have visions of living with 3 giants in a few years who will easily over power me grin

Solo Sat 30-Jul-11 02:48:42

My 4.7yo Dd is taller than your Ds. She's taller than all her peers, even the boys and I don't worry about it.
My Ds at age 3 looked like a 6yo...he's now almost 13 and approx 5'11". i say approx because I'm eastimating his height against me. He's now taller than I am.
Being tall is not a disadvantage at all. My little brother is 6'8" tall. Nobody messes with him wink

Solo Sat 30-Jul-11 02:50:48

OP, are you saying that your 15 month old is taller than your 4yo?

BluddyMoFo Sat 30-Jul-11 08:15:19

HoneyPablo Sat 30-Jul-11 08:20:24

Blimey that is tall. I am just over 157cm (5 foot 2) fully grown.

Alphabetsy Sat 30-Jul-11 09:25:41

Oops just realised typing not great last night
DS is 121 and DD is 86cm !!! Doh!

QOD Sat 30-Jul-11 09:38:30

My dd was 98th centile for height from a wee baby and now is 91st. At reception/infants she was head and shoulders over everyone else but now at 12 is 5ft 3inches. Which is 2 inches taller than me......... but nothing special. She is on the taller side but nothing outstanding.
Being girls I think it's more often than not that this happens, puberty hit at 10 so I think the growth slows then anyway.

I am 5ft 1 - DH is 6ft 2 and her birth mum is 5ft 6inches

nooka Sat 30-Jul-11 19:11:49

My dd has always been 95%+ on height. She's now 10 and 5'5". I'm 5'10" and dh is 6'5", so it's not a surprise she's on the tall side. In general she's always looked a couple of years older than her age. It's not been a problem (she loves being tall) except for clothes as she likes wearing dresses and finding age appropriate dresses has been a bit tricky. She's now wearing a mix of the biggest child size/smallest adult and tops are a problem as she's a willowy sort of shape with very little bust as yet and most of the tops that fit on length are the wrong shape. Luckily she's OK with the idea that she'll be able to wear the tops she likes the look of in a year or two.

I do worry about how things will be in her teens - I wasn't happy about being taller than all the guys, and I worry that she may be vulnerable to older guys too, but i guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. I did a height predictor test for her when she was younger and it suggested that she might max out at 6'1" - I just did another one that said she'd be 6'4" - I hope that's wrong as I think that might be too tall! Still it said the same for ds (also tall, but not 'stand out' so and smaller than dd right now), so perhaps it's just not terribly accurate.

Pkam Sat 30-Jul-11 20:34:05

We grow them big in our family too. Only problem is sometimes other people's expectations when they look a couple of years older than they actually are. I find myself occasionally compelled to work their ages into random conversations with passing strangers.....

We did those height calculations with DD1; apparently she'll be 6'4" as an adult. I really hope not! But in 12 years time when she's out with her cousins and sister and they enter a pub they are going to turn heads and scare all the boys away smile

Haudyerwheesht Sat 30-Jul-11 20:54:40

Lol pkam - I do that with ds. I used to always mention the terrible twos because he looked about 5 at the time!

crazycarol Sat 30-Jul-11 22:15:33

My dd was always off the centile chart. When she started school at 5 she was already into age 8 clothing. When she was 11 she overtook me (5'5'') and at 12 was 5'8". She has now stopped growing at 5'8 1/2". Her dad is 6' so I always knew she would be taller than me. Her height now is tall but not freakishly tall. She takes a size 9 shoe!!!

Ponders Sat 30-Jul-11 22:24:55

you really can't accurately predict final height from centile charts.

DD1 was tiny, below 5th centile all her life, while DD2 was above 75th; both are now (aged 29 & 26) around 5'7 (although it took DD1 a lot longer to get there grin)

DS1 was 50th, DS2 was 90th; DS1 is about 6'1, DS2 is about 6'3 (now aged 23 & 18)

When I started sec school at 11 I was under 5' & there were 2 girls in my year who were both 5'5; they both stopped at under 5'6, but I went on to 5'11

Growth charts are all about averages - there are always extremes, in both directions smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now