Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding - 3 week old doesn't latch back on after first part of feed

(4 Posts)
TransatlanticCityGirl Fri 29-Jul-11 18:40:46

My 3 week old DD has no trouble latching on at the start of a feed. Normally, she drinks for a good 10 minutes before taking her first break, and she might go back on for another 5 minutes. Then it all goes pear shaped...

Suddenly she starts bopping her head on and off the breast. It looks like she is ravenous - she makes piggy noises, gets a look of fierce determination in her eyes, gets the nipple in her mouth... then lets go and bops off and on.

Sometimes I find burping her helps, or changing breasts (even if the first one is still fairly full). But other times I cannot figure out what is wrong... I try changing her nappy, taking a play break, removing a layer of clothes if I think she might be warm, changing her position... and nothing works.

It's so frustrating because she's crying as if she is starving (and rooting around, making all the 'i'm hungry' signs) but she won't drink.

Any ideas?

moregranny Fri 29-Jul-11 19:54:35

Try on the breast/bottle feeding thread smile

TransatlanticCityGirl Fri 29-Jul-11 22:27:38

Thank you, I hadn't seen that thread. Will try there!

BertieBotts Fri 29-Jul-11 22:46:44

Changing to the other breast is fine, even if the first one still seems full. It might be that she's frustrated with the flow and just wants the foremilk from both.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now