Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

holding hands?

(7 Posts)
dolster Thu 28-Jul-11 11:30:55

My DD 15 months is now a pretty good walker/runner. My question is, do you think it's necessary to hold hands when you're walking down the street? We live in London and so obviously there's dangers but I always walk close enough to her that I can grab her if she starts veering. Friends are really strict about making thier little ones hold hands if walking down a street - I'm not sure I can be arsed with it, feels a bit like training a dog to heel. What do other people advise? x

baabaapinksheep Thu 28-Jul-11 11:52:17

I do.
Just because she is a good walker now, doesn't mean she always will be. As she gets older she may take every opportunity to run off, in which case holding hands is a good habit to get into, and the younger you start the easier it is. If you 'can't be arsed' with holding her hands then maybe get some reigns, better safe than sorry IMO.

Tigresswoods Thu 28-Jul-11 15:07:38

My 17 month old DS is rubbish at holding hands but if we are by a road or on a train platform I insist as he's a bolter.

Maybe insist when it's necessary, it's up to you.

ElbowFan Thu 28-Jul-11 15:59:54

Have you considered reins?

dolster Thu 28-Jul-11 20:12:21

thanks everyone for the advice - I hadn't considered reins - I guess I'll persevere with the hand holding and think about reins if all else fails.

Sirzy Thu 28-Jul-11 20:28:01

I think it is needed to train them a bit and to make hand holding the norm.

We have a little life backpack so when it is safe he can have a bit more freedom but often he has that on and holds hands.

Piglet28 Thu 28-Jul-11 20:43:08

My DS will hold hands for a little while but is a runner, I have to use reins on him or he is off!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now