Talk

Advanced search

15 month old just started sleeping through...

(8 Posts)
justkeepingheadabovewater Wed 27-Jul-11 17:26:04

the night, but he seems shattered all day too? He has started having a 2 hour nap between about 12 and 2, but seem tired again by 5pm.
A week ago he was still waking 3- 4 times a night, as early as 8.30 - 9pm the first time.
Do you think its a growth spurt? Or could it be developmental?
He is extremely active, and always has been. He crawled at 6 months, and walked at 11 months. He also seems to need a lot of stimulation, which is tiring for me too.
The problem is he seems to be becoming very whingy alongside the tiredness, but again, not sure if this is developmental or sleep related.
Any ideas gratefully received!!
smile

AngelDog Wed 27-Jul-11 23:31:36

You say he has started having a 2 hour nap - was he sleeping less before? 2 hours sounds like a normal nap for that age.

It could be that he was overtired before. Children who are overtired often seem more tired when they start getting more sleep because there's no longer lots of adrenaline 'masking' the tiredness.

You could try an earlier bedtime for a bit to see if it helps.

There is a (mental) developmental spurt around 15 months too which may be having an effect - although that usually stops children sleeping!

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Thu 28-Jul-11 20:35:30

was he having two naps before? Ds went through the 15m spurt with style...tons of night waking...but then started sleeping through.

Around the same time he went down to one nap. But sometimes would be too tired on just one nap, and would fall sleep short of bed time...then be up half the night.

He has sorted himself out now and can manage to stay awake for both halves of the day. Maybe this is the problem with your ds? Them being overtired is awfull...but will pass. The change in ds after the 15m spurt was astounding! smile

Iggly Thu 28-Jul-11 21:49:13

I agree with Angel. If he was overtired, he'll feel worse before better when he starts to catch up on sleep. Keep letting him get all the sleep and he'll be back to speed in no time.

At that age, DS had two naps a day - one short morning one and a long post lunch one plus 11 hours at night.

AngelDog Thu 28-Jul-11 23:07:57

Iggly, haven't seen you for ages. How are things? (Apologies for thread hijack, OP).

Overtiredness could indeed be a problem if he's just moved from two naps to one. There's a horrible transition period when one nap isn't enough, but two are too many.

An earlier naptime as well as an earlier bedtime might help. When DS dropped from two naps to one (at 13 months - should have done it sooner) he woke at 7am and needed to nap 11-1pm or he got overtired (bedtime was at 6.30pm). Only now at 18 m.o. is he going as late as 12 before getting sleepy. OTOH all the other babies I know that age IRL sleep later in the day than him - nap starting at 12 or 1pm.

angelPeacock Fri 29-Jul-11 22:24:56

My DD was 18 months before she slept through and seemd to be awake all day too....be gratefull of the sleep hahaaha. im sure it will be ok huni, phases are usually short lived at this age (usually lol)

xxx

tigerlillyd02 Sat 30-Jul-11 02:35:14

My lo is 20 months and still sometimes needs 2 naps in the day. One being from about 12-2pm and then he'll sometimes sleep again around 5 - I make sure it's a very short one because of his bedtime so sometimes only allow him 15-20 mins.

Iggly Sat 30-Jul-11 06:37:02

Hi AngelDog, I'm ok! Tried to PM you but not sure it work confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now