Talk

Advanced search

Hair Washing

(16 Posts)
BrawToken Tue 26-Jul-11 19:11:21

My dd 2.11 is a dream - lovely, sunny nature etc etc

EXCEPT WHEN IT COMES TO HAIR WASHING WHEN SHE IS EVIL DURING AND FOR THE FOLLOWING 30 MINUTES

Any tips?

BrawToken Tue 26-Jul-11 19:13:13

And every single night, she says, 'my hair's not dirty, promise Mummy/Daddy?' just before she gets in the bath. Her hair is minging and after a day at work, I cannot face another confrontation (social services).

nancy75 Tue 26-Jul-11 19:14:13

et swimmimg goggles, i know it sounds daft but hair washing with my dd was a nightmare and goggles worked!

BrawToken Tue 26-Jul-11 19:19:58

Oooh, I shall try that, ta!

nancy75 Tue 26-Jul-11 19:22:46

if she's still unsure tell her something like they are magic glasses that let special people see underwater - that kind of rubbish always worked with dd grin

DeWe Tue 26-Jul-11 19:23:40

Get in with her and let her lean back in your lap.
Make sure her hair is tied back during the day and not getting in food etc. I didn't wash any of mine's hair every day, and generally it didn't need it.

reallytired Tue 26-Jul-11 19:25:21

I only wash dd's hair once a week. It sounds terrible hygiene, but I don't think that pre pubescent children need to wash their hair every day.

BrawToken Tue 26-Jul-11 19:48:24

Hehe - I have just washed it. First time in at least a fortnight shock grin She had a massive paddy and elbowed me in the face - I was in with her. She honestly is a sweetheart the rest of the time.

reallytired Tue 26-Jul-11 19:51:44

BrawToken you have my sympathy. It only gets worse when you have to check them for nits. My nine year old ds is bad about hair washing.

BrawToken Tue 26-Jul-11 20:13:58

Hehe. Been there - my teenage daughter had bloody headlice on and off for the whole of p6! Every time I see the wee one scratch, I die a little inside smile So far, no nits, but her hair is mad curls and I am dreading it...

iceandsliceplease Tue 26-Jul-11 23:38:00

DD also has mad beautiful curls and getting her hair clean and/or detangled is a killer, for her and for me.

We've tried bloody everything. Best so far has been getting her in the shower with me every day. I didn't wash her hair every day, but the water helped her curls to separate. That lasted a good three months, until she suddenly and violently took against showers. So now she has a wash in the bath, then I comb through her curls several days later at a later time with leave in conditioner spray and/or Beautiful Curl Cream and/or the stuff from the AfroHair market stall. It's still awful, but at least it separates the detangling from the water.
Another mum at DS's school has a DD with exactly the same hair as my DD, and we freely admit to not brushing hair much more than we can get away with.

slimyak Wed 27-Jul-11 21:28:14

I have the same problem with dd1 ( dd2 still fairly bald). She loves the little mermaid and although it's still fairly hard work she will be a mermaid in the bath lying back and letting her hair float about in the water. We do a final rinse with one of those soft fronted jugs and she's ok with this as long as I let her check the temp first and pander to the tiny hot and cold changes.

tethersend Wed 27-Jul-11 21:33:22

What worked for us is washing <clenched teeth> every single toy in the bath's 'hair' before hers, so she knows what's coming.

That and 'look at the ceiling'.

Octaviapink Fri 29-Jul-11 09:15:36

Good grief, cut her hair short and wash it once a week! Why make your life and hers harder??

Lovethesea Fri 29-Jul-11 22:30:19

DD is a similar age. We do her hair right at the beginning of bath time so it's all play after. She stands in the bath, tips her head back, squeezes her eyes shut and sticks her fingers in her ears. Fortunately she has very fine hair and not much of it so it takes a few cups and it's done. The baby (13 months) just gets a cup tipped over his head in the bath ..... he doesn't seem traumatised yet so I'm hoping he'll be ok too when he gets more hair.

BrawToken Sat 30-Jul-11 20:30:06

Thanks for that Lovethesea. Doubt dd will stand up so I can do her hair, though smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now