Talk

Advanced search

What will you do when an adult hit your child in a public place?

(13 Posts)
Ramtin Tue 26-Jul-11 11:49:48

I am really upset and still can not digest what happened on the weekend, We went to tea House in a Park inLondon with my family I was watching all the time my four years old son who was playing close to us, in a matter of seconds as I took a sip from my cola, got a big shock to see a big built man was kicking my son like a dog away, apparently my four years old son was interested in a camera which he was holding and pushed his 6-7 years old granddaughter to look at it! As I saw that shouted at him angrily and said when he has a problem then he should talk to me and not to kick my 4 years old son, he was very rude and he said he did 'nt know where the parent were what else should he do !!!!, I called the police they came immediately and after speaking to both of us told me that he is over protective to his granddaughter and if I was happy that they live immediately and leave us in peace and not seek further action because there was no physical harm was done to my son I agreed, at that time I was in shock phase but now I think they should at least apologize to us and I am still very upset and can not get over it, and I think he is also a danger to his own grandchild when he acts so crazy and mindless

Rollmops Tue 26-Jul-11 13:25:26

I doubt very much that your child was 'hit', pushed away perhaps but not hit per se. Assuming there were other adults nearby, such action would have caused public outrage.
The man was clearly in wrong as there is no excuse to raise a hand to a child, regardless how benignly, however, as the police was involved and didn't find the reason to charge him, you should calm down and teach your child to not push other children and touch other people's property.

LIZS Tue 26-Jul-11 13:31:51

Such violence is obviously not right but since you chose not to take it further then you can't really have recourse now. It is up to the police to refer it if they feel the child is at risk. I doubt you exchanged details so you'd have no way of following things up now. However you could n't have been watching him that closely if you didn't see the initial incident where he pushed the girl or went for the camera.

Deaddei Tue 26-Jul-11 13:42:41

It sounds as if he acted instinctively to protect his granddaughter....maybe she has sn?
I think if your son had pushed my dd trying to see something I would Not have been happy either. Perhaps you should make sure your son understands that he can't do that.

franke Tue 26-Jul-11 13:46:09

I think it was dealt with affectively at the time. Move on. Sorry that it happened to your boy though, he's only four.

Chundle Tue 26-Jul-11 13:57:54

Ok your boy is 4 and all 4 year olds barge others out the way! It's par for the course of being 4! Did he actually kick/hit your son? If he did an it was my child then I would've gone insane regardless of the fact that your child (probably accidentally and in excitement) pushe his granddauther who was older and bigger!! Let's be honest it mustve been serious for the OP to call the old bill! If it was as bad as you say I wouldn't have been happy!

Avantia Tue 26-Jul-11 14:04:37

I will stick my neck out here and say that you over reacted by calling the police .

If the man was kicking your son like a dog I would imagine that your son would have had some injuries and as someone else said other people around would have been outraged by his actions.

If you were watching him all the time - why did you let him bother other people .

You called the police - they dealt with it - you were happy with that - move on .

stupefy Tue 26-Jul-11 14:09:43

If someone kicked one of my children I would call the police and not stop pushing thill the thug had been charged with assault and had social services crawling over every inch of in personal life and his name had been well and truly dragged though the mud.

Avantia Tue 26-Jul-11 14:13:32

If the child had been 'kicked like a dog' then child would have had injuries - the police obviously summed the situatioon up - you can tell by the way they dealt with it . Any independent witnesses to verify the kicking ?- if so then this would have gone further .

hocuspontas Tue 26-Jul-11 14:22:53

Must have been a long sip of cola. Were you invisible as well? You said your ds was 'close', grandad said he 'didn't know where the parent was'. hmm

Deaddei Tue 26-Jul-11 14:33:13

smile

miamama09 Tue 26-Jul-11 15:00:42

uh, people reading more into this post than it actually states, again. Going off the what you wrote, if that actually happened, and it happened to my child, I would be raging!

But now it's over, and you need to forget about it. Don't go looking for apologies. It's sorted.

I know it'll stay on your mind for awhile, just be more wary of what your child can get up to in such a short time when you are not completely focused on him. These things can happen so quickly, all it takes is a few seconds and they'll be at the other side of the restaurant before you know it, hassling someone for attention.

Avantia Tue 26-Jul-11 15:07:43

What exactly did you want the police to do OP when you called them ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now