Talk

Advanced search

Can your 5 year old tell the difference between the past, present and future?

(19 Posts)
LeninGrad Sun 24-Jul-11 18:40:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hillyhilly Sun 24-Jul-11 18:42:14

My nearly four year old has a reasonable grasp of time although he does sometimes confuse tenses and words. He does understand what the days of the week are and last week/ next week etc

Slubberdegullion Sun 24-Jul-11 18:44:32

dd2 still struggles with tomorrow.

Are we in tomorrow yet? Is it tomorrow now? are frequently asked (much to the exasperation of dd1 who at a whole 15 months older finds such juvenile stupidity very trying).

Seems Ok with yesterday and things and people that are dead.

LeninGrad Sun 24-Jul-11 18:50:11

hazeyjane Sun 24-Jul-11 18:51:38

Dd1 (was 5 in March) does understand, yesterday and tomorrow, and is just getting to grips with the idea of things being weeks and months away ('how many sleeps?') and of the structure of the weekend. She also understands that dh's mum is dead, so she can't see her.

Dd2 (was 4 in May) is all over the place timewise, most things in the future are, 'this weekend' and if they have happened in the past, it is when i was little (even if it was only the weekend before. She gets really upset, if I say something is happening on Thursday, then when she says, 'this weekend?' and I say, 'no Thursday', she completely freaks out, until i agree that it is 'this weekend'.

Henrythehappyhelicopter Sun 24-Jul-11 18:57:41

I have three DCs one of them was very good at understanding time at the age of 5.

The other two only knew of two days. Today and the other day.

slimyak Mon 25-Jul-11 21:47:18

My 4yo dd is good with past and clumps all future into "after this day". Time is a strange concept.

My nephew really struggled with past and future and we found out it was linked to his dyslexia, diagnosed at about 8, but there were other signs too - eye spy was always a challenge. At 13 he's doing very well at school but has to work hard at English. Scrabble will never be his favourite game but I'm with him on that.

StealthPolarBear Mon 25-Jul-11 21:50:38

yes I think so, although anything in the past is "yesterday" and anything in the future is "on Saturday" (near future) or "when I six" (distant future)

Although he did ask today if he could drink beer when he's as old as me.

Mowlem Mon 25-Jul-11 21:53:59

My dd is 5 in November, and she understands the concept of time. Recent past is 'yesterday', non recent past 'when I was little'. Obviously she gets today. And as for future, she understands all recent future events as tomorrow, and longer term future events as 'when I'm 5...'.

That said, she did ask me the other day if its tomorrow yet.

pinkhebe Mon 25-Jul-11 21:59:31

my 8 yr old occasionally says yesterday when he means tomorrow, is that what you mean? In his mind he understands it, but gets the words confused,

pinkhebe Mon 25-Jul-11 22:00:01

it's the same with the words earlier and later

headinhands Mon 25-Jul-11 22:06:34

Ds, nearly 5, does not have a reliable concept of 'yesterday' or 'tomorrow'. "When did we go to the beach?" I ask, hoping his grasp of time connectives is improving. "Tomorrow?" He replies eagerly.
He seems comfortingly average in intelligence in general so feel fairy confident that he will have it off to pat by adulthood. smile

blueshoes Mon 25-Jul-11 23:03:16

My 4 year old (almost 5) can. He understands it conceptually as well as linguistically.

LeninGrad Thu 28-Jul-11 19:08:47

deaconblue Thu 28-Jul-11 19:11:58

ds is 5 and understands yesterday, tomorrow and the idea of 'the weekend' but doesn't know or understand days of the week or have much sense of the future beyond next week. He understands that the 2 people we loved who died last year and that we won't be able to see them again but does often ask if we can go to heaven to fetch them back so is still a little confused.

HappyWanderer Fri 29-Jul-11 14:13:29

5 yo DSD is the same here. She constantly mixed up yesterday, tomorrow, next week, last month, etc., about a year ago. She's gotten a lot better but still mixes up yesterday with the "the day before yesterday", tomorrow with next week, etc. She's a bit firmer with her days of the week now, but still doesn't always remember that if today is Friday, then Sunday is two days from now.

Her concept of time has gotten better as her memory has improved. She is much better at remembering past events and people she's met (rather than seen constantly) now, so I reckon one may tie in with the other.

vickibee Fri 29-Jul-11 14:15:33

DS nearly 5 - says yesterday to mean anytime in the past, could have been weeks or months ago. When I say tomorrow - he says when I wake up in the morning so he does seem to understand this

angelPeacock Fri 29-Jul-11 22:22:01

My 7 year old DS hasnt got a clue!!! my 4 (5 in nov) DD is slowly working it out. she gets past and future with the general "before" or "yesterday" or "last week" but not in correct liguistic terms, but usually always asks "when did we..." or "when will we...." i thinks she has a thing about getting it right..DS on the otherhand, EVERYTHING is "last week" whether it be yesterday or last flippin year. he is getting the counting down the days to something, such as his swimming lesson by counting the days "i dont say {todays day} becuase that is cheating, so its {tomorrow} {day after} 2 days till...."
hes behind in everything (suspected LD or ASD) so it doesnt supprise me if your all thinking "oh my thats late" lol

LawrieMarlow Fri 29-Jul-11 22:58:56

Have realised I don't know whether DS 7 and DD 5 have a grasp on this or not. Feel instinctively that thbut will have to actually find out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now