Talk

Advanced search

My Baby wakes up after an hour of being asleep!!!

(10 Posts)
MissMuldoon1 Sat 23-Jul-11 20:40:19

Hello all,
I really need some help my baby boy of 10 months will wake up after about an hours sleep and start screaming, he usually will cry for about 30 mins.
Its mainly only when I put him to bed, when my husband outs him down he is fine.
He will also go for his naps very well and quietly and will have approx 2 hours in the morning and an hour in the afternoon.
I really dont know what to do anymore, please help :-(

sanam2010 Sat 23-Jul-11 21:44:01

Is baby hungry? When my dd (9 months) is really tired at bedtime, she falls asleep before she has had enough milk and then tends to wake up 30-60min after to drink more.

30-60min will also be the end of the first sleep cycle, so it could be that this combined with it still being light outside or some
noises heard in the house could wake baby up.

It sounds perfectly normal, the real deep sleep comes slightly later in thr night.

MissMuldoon1 Sun 24-Jul-11 23:26:50

Well I thought that he might be hungry so we started to give him some weetabix about 6 ish. So that means he wakes up has a bottle of milk then either toast or cereal, then his lunch, followed by another bottle of milk, then his tea followed by dessert then a two hours later weetabix and then about an hour later his final bottle so i just cant see him being hungry.

Although perhaps the light could be an issue, we tend to try and and keep noise low, but we obv do not tip toe around.

NovemberAli Mon 25-Jul-11 20:22:12

My DD (10 months) is just the same! Every night without fail an hour after going to sleep she wakes again really upset, sometimes she can be settled with a bit of shush and pat, other times I have to feed her/ rock her/ do whatever to get her back to sleep.

I'm hoping it's just a phase - maybe linked to the sleep cycles thing - sorry not much help, just to say you're not alone!

mum23girlys Mon 25-Jul-11 20:31:06

Going to watch this with interest as my dd (8mths) does exactly the same thing nearly every night. Sometimes she just goes back to sleep after a few minutes but other nights I have to go in to settle her. Tonight it's taken about 30 minutes to get her to go back to sleep though. That's longer than normal. Also don't think she can be tired as she has dinner and a bottle at 430 then weetabix and another bottle at 630, bed at 645. Sometimes she does cry though because she's rolled onto her tummy. She's a big girl and isn't able to roll back onto her front yet so that upsets her too.

mum23girlys Mon 25-Jul-11 20:32:20

Sorry didn't mean 'tired' meant 'hungry'

sedgiebaby Mon 25-Jul-11 20:39:33

If it is screaming and the timing is consistent, it might be a night terror or 'confusion arousal'. See some more info here www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=120353001604

narmada Tue 26-Jul-11 10:21:57

It also might be separation anxiety - he's exactly the right age for it and it would explain why it happens when you put him down and not when your husband does (if you're the primary caregiver). There's not much you can do if so, except wait it out I'm afraid!

MissMuldoon1 Wed 27-Jul-11 20:31:24

Thanks all. I thought it might be the seperation anixety so I sat with him and gave him cuddles on the sofa until he was ready for bed. He did wake up but that was because he was sat up and he cant figure out how to lie back down. So far fingers crossed the extra cuddles seem to have helped.
However I think I may look at the night terror as I have heard about them and sometimes it is screaming and it is excatly an hour after he goes down.

sedgiebaby Thu 28-Jul-11 12:56:24

Miss M if you dod think it is a night terror, disturbing baby 10 mins ahead of an episode for 7 days is often suggested to break the pattern, I think it helps to move them into deeper sleep faster.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now