Talk

Advanced search

How do I get dd(5) to eat with her mouth closed?

(7 Posts)
graceandbeauty Sat 23-Jul-11 18:59:19

I realise this may sound trivial but dd(5) has the most awful way of eating with her mouth opening and closing making a loud smacking sound. She has always done this. My 2 older dcs naturally always chewed with their mouths closed so I'm not sure there's anything I can do?

I've been gently prompting her for ages, at each meal time, to chew with her mouth closed, which she does for about 10 seconds, then reverts to the lip-smacking. Maybe not a huge big deal but I think it's pretty disgusting when adults eat like this and I want to avoid it becoming the norm for her if possible.

Is there anything else I can do? The prompting is not working. Take her food away for 5 minutes?!

Doodlez Sat 23-Jul-11 21:32:06

I say "No" to taking food away - just give the girl 'ishooes'! Gentle reminders and don't worry about it until she's eight - by which time, the bollocking will have more meaning!

orienteerer Sat 23-Jul-11 21:34:29

...err, you can mention it to her but to be honest if my DS is anything to go by I'd wait until she is a little older.

Conflugenglugen Sat 23-Jul-11 21:37:09

First - have you checked that she can breathe through her nose properly? It might be physiological.

HarperSeven Sat 23-Jul-11 21:38:34

Put her in front of a mirror when she eats.

graceandbeauty Sat 23-Jul-11 21:39:35

Hmm...will just keep on reminding her then. I know it's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things but I just find it so horrible! (maybe my ishoo...confused)

graceandbeauty Sat 23-Jul-11 21:40:58

She can breathe through her nose, I think it's just the way she started to eat and it's stuck. I think she maybe chews more with her front teeth than is normal - not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Will try the mirror thing - good idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now