Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

thumb sucker

(8 Posts)
bessie26 Sat 23-Jul-11 10:42:42

DD1 (2.9) has sucked her thumb since she was 4 months old. She only does it when tired or upset, but I (and the dentist) think it's time for her to stop sad

So, anyone got any tips? We've explained it will stop her teeth being pretty, but when she's tired she doesn't care!

I remember reading a thread on here about 2 years ago which mentioned a book (Thumbuddy to Love ) but it looks like it's out of print & is very expensive second hand!

DD2 (3 months) found her thumb yesterday so any tips to stop her also appreciated! (she won't take a dummy)

ILoveUMama Sun 24-Jul-11 07:51:49

I was a thumb sucker until age 5 mostly when I was upset or tired just like your little one. My mum tried everything from dummies, putting hot pepper on my thumb at night to wrapping it in bandages and putting gloves on me. Nothing worked. Finally a little boy at school made fun of me and that broke the habit straight away. Unfortunatly my teeth were horrid by that time and my mum had to spend all sorts of money to have them fixed. I am very stubborn though so that is a worst case senario for you. My lil brother on the other hand sucked his thumb to but the hot pepper worked for him. They now sale bad tasting gels and liquids that are specially designed for puting on childrens hands so that they keep them out of their mouths.

bigTillyMint Sun 24-Jul-11 07:57:27

DD was a thumb sucker in the womb and still is now (only at home when very tired) aged 12. We did try to discourage her, but to no avail. TBH I'm not that bothered. It doesn't seem to have ruined her teeth and what other harm can it do?

Grockle Sun 24-Jul-11 08:05:04

DS(5) sucks his thumb when he's very tired. Doesn't bother me but His teeth are ok. I don't see a reason for him to stop - it's a way for him to self-soothe and as long as hrs not doing it all day, I don't see a problem.

libbylobs Sun 24-Jul-11 08:10:58

i am sorry to tell you , but im 46 and still suck mt thumb when tired, ny teeth are fine, and its just a comfort , as long as its at home when all snuggled up and tired i dont see the problem x

LoveBeingAbleToNamechange Sun 24-Jul-11 08:30:24

I think it really depends what sort of sucker they are. Dd 3.4 sucks hers and sometimes it's right up to the palm shock. Anytime I tell her to take it out she generally does but has also sucked other fingers.

poptartpoptart Sun 24-Jul-11 18:20:08

I used this book with DS (you can also get it on Amazon and it's not expensive)
http://www.oliverthebear.com/

I used it in conjunction with this thumb sucking device aswell as a star chart. It worked really well.
http://www.thumbusters.com/?gclid=CLC_qr6-mqoCFcce4QodzXubwA

Good luck!

bessie26 Tue 26-Jul-11 15:44:22

Thanks for your replies! I'll get that book & work on trying to convince her she WANTS to stop sucking it for now... tbh as she only sucks it when going to sleep (or upset), not all day &/or night I'm not too worried about it (yet)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now