Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Last day at school.... ds upset

(5 Posts)
lookatthatmess Fri 22-Jul-11 22:00:03

Today was last day at ds infant school, in september he will be starting juniors but in a different part of town than the infants so he wont know the children. how would you deal with ds being upset?
He is mostly upset cause he will miss all the nice teachers he had.

Doodlez Fri 22-Jul-11 23:49:09

Week of summer holidays - upset forgotten / September a long way off in child's eyes.

Three weeks in, start to talk up the new school & remind him all his friends going there too.

Final part of the summer - talk up how you've heard the teachers at junior school are really nice and looking forward to meeting him.

Final stage - 1 week in to new term - upset a distant memory!

lookatthatmess Sat 23-Jul-11 08:07:53

Thanks Doodlez,

He has just got up this morning and is still a bit upset.
I can feel myself starting to loose sympathy as its not as if someone has died.
I know it must be hard to not see people again as I have experience of this and also have experience of grieving when someone has died.
I am trying to take his mind off it by giving him stuff to do.

is anyone going through similar? or got anymore advice?
I know it may take time but I can only sympathyse for so long before I tell him to get over it.
Am I being too harsh?

Goblinchild Sat 23-Jul-11 08:12:04

Yes you are being harsh, he's facing a huge change without the benefit of your years of experience. If you can't be nice, then don't say anything rather than getting snappy with him.
Yes, I know you haven't yet, but you are heading that way.

AuntieMonica Sat 23-Jul-11 08:18:08

Adults can 'categorise' loss as they have had more to deal with. Your DS is probably dealing with his 1st 'loss' and needs time to digest what is happening. It's a big step to go to Junior school, and telling him to 'get over it' will not help if he has fears/questions that are making him anxious, and subsequently miss his infant school so much.

Give him plenty to do, and emphasise the positives about leaving infant school.

One day is not enough, he was there for 3 years after all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now