Talk

Advanced search

Dummies!

(6 Posts)
natie26 Fri 22-Jul-11 08:30:37

Hello, when is it a practical time to take the dummy away?

My son is almost 18 months and i try to only give it to him at sleep time.

He only has 6 teeth and i wondered if it is best to keep it until all has come through or just bite the bullet and take it away?

He has been very winey recently so i have occasionally given it for a bit of peace and quiet!!

Thank you your advice is really appreciated.

moregranny Fri 22-Jul-11 09:25:32

I took my daughters dummy away when she was 2, resulting in her sucking her thumb and pushing her front top teeth outwards and then needing a brace, let my son keep his, no longer wanted at 3, perfect teeth. You often see older children/adults sucking thumbs but dont see them sucking dummies, smile

TimeForCake Fri 22-Jul-11 13:02:23

Watching with interest natie as I could have written your post. Tooth no. 7 just coming through for my 18mth old though! But identical situation otherwise. I have been giving in recently too but know that I shouldn't. Although I'd love to get rid of it, the thought terrifies me!!

hester Fri 22-Jul-11 13:04:49

dd2 is 22 months and a dummy addict. In theory I am waiting till she is 2 and a bit more verbal, so that we can discuss giving it to the dummy fairy etc. In reality I'm just wimping out...

natie26 Fri 22-Jul-11 13:09:27

Thank you everyone for your replies.

TimeForCake, please keep me updated with how you get on smile as i feel exactly the same!

TimeForCake Fri 22-Jul-11 13:42:16

Will do! No immediate plans to be brave but like the idea of dummy fairies or similar at some point. I never planned for DS still to have it at 18 mths so maybe another few months won't hurt?!! Like hester said, the reality is I'm wimping out. wink It is made harder as DS now asks for it every now and then, so it takes huge distraction to persuade him otherwise.
I should really try and be stricter & get it back to only sleep time...that would be a small step in the right direction at least!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now