Talk

Advanced search

Speech!!

(8 Posts)
natie26 Fri 22-Jul-11 08:09:09

Hello my 18 month old boy is not really saying anything.

He occasionally says 'mama', 'dada' and 'no' but thats about it and it is not consistent throughout the day!

I really feel he should be saying more and i talk to him all day saying words for things he points to but all he does is point and go 'a'.

Should i be worried? The health visitor told me a month ago he should be saying a handful of words by 18 months but i know every child is different.

I am thinking of taking him back and maybe asking to be referred to a a speech therapist but is this being a bit drastic for his age?

Thank you, your advice is much appreciated.

Tee2072 Fri 22-Jul-11 08:58:01

My 2 year old only really started using works at around 22, 23 months. And now, at 25 months he uses them all the time, strings 2 together, etc.

I really wouldn't worry at 18 months.

HoneyPablo Fri 22-Jul-11 09:03:25

It is a bit early to be worrying. Aside from the speech, does he communicate? Can you tell what he wants, how he is feeling and does he interact with you? Do you have conversations and does he respond to instructions?
If he is doing all this, then I wouldn't worry. Like you say, all children are different and they develop at different rates.

natie26 Fri 22-Jul-11 09:12:11

Hello,

He does communicate well with me and understands simple instructions like close the door or pass me your book etc. He babbles in his own language too but just says 'a' allot when pointing to things or if i am talking to him.

Flisspaps Fri 22-Jul-11 09:16:39

So 'a' could mean 'that'.

There's four words, near enough a handful.

I wouldn't worry smile

HoneyPablo Fri 22-Jul-11 09:19:16

Then just keep on doing what you are doing with him. The best way for children to learn speech and language is to be immersed in it. So things like reading stories, singing nursery rhymes, listening to cds and just talking to him. Then, if he doesn't start saying more words, you can have him referred to a speech and language therapist. Although, there is a long waiting list for that, maybe the health visitor had that thought in mind?
From what you say, I don't really see any cause for concern. Just enjoy him and try not to be paranoid about his speech.

alowVera Sat 23-Jul-11 18:38:39

I am going to disagree with previous posts and advise that if you are not happy with what HV said to go back and get a second opinion. Trust your instincts.

skybluepearl Sat 23-Jul-11 20:31:46

wait until he is 2 to worry. they pick up so much between 18 months and two years - it's shocking!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now