Talk

Advanced search

what (if anything) can your preschooler write...?

(13 Posts)
headfairy Thu 21-Jul-11 20:28:06

Not a boasting competition by the way, I'm curious to know if it's normal for children to write things backwards a lot of the time. I think ds might be left handed, so I wondered if the backwards thing might be connected to that or something else. He can only write is name really, and a couple of numbers, but he often does a U as an n and a C backwards. He also reads numbers backwards. He said to me the other day that an e looked like a 9. I can see what he means if you're looking at it backwards that is.

Not sure if all this is utterly normal though. My sister is left handed and wrote backwards for years. so maybe it's that causing it.

CharlotteBronteSaurus Thu 21-Jul-11 20:33:44

dd1 is 4, starts reception in September
She can write her name freely, but shows no interest in writing anything else at all. on the very odd occasion when she has been encouraged to write more at preschool, her b and d are always muddled, ditto 2 and 5. she also muddles b and d, and p and q, when reading.

feedthegoat Thu 21-Jul-11 20:35:17

Before he started reception ds could only write his name.

It is his last day in reception tommorrow. His letter formation has improved but still confuses b and d and is prone to doing s back to front. He does write the odd word backwards too though anything that resembles a real word is enough to please me. Teacher says that it is all in realms of normal and she has been happy with his progress.

shoots Thu 21-Jul-11 20:35:40

Yes - does sound perfectly normal to me and sounds like he is doing really well to write his name already. Lots of the pre-schoolers I know aren't able to form letters yet. My pre-schooler does all her letters up and over like an n shape - even the y in her name! I'm still very proud as she has CP but is determined to learn to write!

Tillyscoutsmum Thu 21-Jul-11 20:37:45

DD is the same. She can write her name but sometimes writes it from right to left. b and d and p & q are confused. We recently did a phonics course at pre school and the teacher confirmed it was very common and nothing to worry about. DD is right handed btw

BertieBotts Thu 21-Jul-11 20:39:37

DS can't write yet, but looking back at my old school work from reception and year 1 etc, backwards letters are peppered in all over the place, and I'm right-handed. I think it is really common. DS is starting to recognise letters and he does often confuse letters like J and L, and d and b.

headfairy Thu 21-Jul-11 20:40:23

shoots I think only I'd really know it was his name grin

thank you for the reassurances about the writing. I was an early writer, that's what happens when you have an older sister who's in remedial classes for her backwards writing - she was so bad they thought she was dyslexic - she taught me to write. And as far as I can tell I didn't write backwards too much. It was the e and 9 thing that rang bells for me though. It was so odd because he knows his numbers. It also occured to me that my dyslexic cousin sees things oddly on occasion, its the sort of mix up he'd make. I know it's far too early to be talking about dylexia though.

Meglet Thu 21-Jul-11 20:42:41

DS starts reception in Sept and he can write his name, but sometimes the letters are back to front.

greycircles Thu 21-Jul-11 20:44:09

It is normal for any young child to write letters as their mirror images, applies to right handed children as well.

alowVera Thu 21-Jul-11 20:51:02

My dd1 is 5, right handed, and writes some letters and numbers backwards.

Halogen Thu 21-Jul-11 21:39:47

DD is 4.10, starts reception in Sept, and often writes backwards (from right to left, all letters reversed). It's mostly legible. She can write her first name and surname and a few other words without help and will ask how to spell other words. She's definitely right-handed and I'd be very surprised if she turned out to be dyslexic because even though she mixes up b and d when writing she can recognise them reliably when someone else has written them or on a page of printed text. Her preschool told me the backwards writing was completely normal.

severnofnine Thu 21-Jul-11 21:43:12

DS2 can write a capital F only for his name and then make a stab at the other letters. he will start school in september.

DS1 is right handed and 7 only within the last few months has he reliably started writing b and d the right ways round and 3 and 2 the right way round.

its normal isnt it?

ThePrincessRoyalFiggyrolls Thu 21-Jul-11 21:48:29

dd can write her name, but the letters are all mixed up. However up until recently she was putting them together now if you spell it out to her she will put them in the right order, she is 3.8

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now