Talk

Advanced search

What do you do on the difficult days?

(13 Posts)
lizardqueenie Thu 21-Jul-11 18:14:39

Hi there

Going through quite a rough patch with my little 8.5 month DD at the moment. She's had a tummy bug & been testing for the last week & I'm at a real crappy low point where I'm finding it hard to hold it together. Been to the docs & waiting for outcome of poo sample tests but in the meantime drs & hvs are giving me conflicting advice about what to feed/not to feed DD & watering down her milk etc. I thought she was on the mend but today another high temp, all clammy then inconsolable crying for ages. My mum has been great & lives local so she has been over today but I feel like I'm climbing the Walls & just want to soothe DD & make her feel better. I hope the results will come back tomorrow & we are a bit clearer as to what's going on what can you do when your babies are unwell but would probably quite like entertaining (distraction seems to be helping sometimes!) but we can't go to any of our usual activities through fear of passing it on.

lizardqueenie Thu 21-Jul-11 18:15:42

I meant teething not testing hmm

thisisyesterday Thu 21-Jul-11 18:17:29

get out, if you can. just out for a walk down the road... jhopefully will calm her down and you'll be able to just get out of the house for a bit of fresh air!

SharkSkinThing Thu 21-Jul-11 20:21:13

Oh Lizard, you poor thing, I feel for you, the days can seem so very, very long sometimes.

I agree with yesterday - get out and walk, visit cafes where you can both people watch, that sort of thing? Is she very infectious? Can you drive? I used to sometimes just go for a drive with DS on days like that and walk around different shops and cafes! Garden centres (esp those with aquariums) are really good, too. Though if DD is very poorly a car journey may be awful?!

Where abouts are you in the world?

Hang on in there! xx

lizardqueenie Thu 21-Jul-11 20:33:51

Thanks shark & yesterday. Def going out is a good idea- I know I always feel better when we go out, yes I do drive. Not sure how infectious she is with a tummy bug- obviously dont want her licking any other kids grin but garden centre would be a good idea. I'm in south east London/ north Kent so bluewater has been good time to time but I feel I spend a lot of time there. Garden centre is a fab idea & I actually know one fairly local (tho a good drive so DD could have a nap in the car). She usually does quite well in the car & is happy to play/ sleep. She usually such a happy little thing but staying indoors isn't very entertaining after a while- despite all of the toys!

SharkSkinThing Fri 22-Jul-11 08:05:36

I often let DS have his lunchtime nap in the car on the way somewhere - pack yourself a book/magazine/chocolate, and just relax whilst she sleeps. Park somewhere with a nice view!

She won;t care where she is/if she's been there before - she's with you, and that's enough. I know it often feels like you're just killing time, but in a few months time it will feel easier again, once they are tucking into lunch with you!

I wish we were nearer (we're W Sussex), we could meet up. xx

theborrower Fri 22-Jul-11 21:49:19

Oh, I know how you feel - my DD had gastroenteritis a few months back and I was just so knackered and stressed (and could barely keep up with the washing!) I posted on AIBU and got a bit slated because I wanted my husband to take some time off to help blush

yes, get out if you can for a walk, and put off everything else that isn't urgent if you can (housework etc, although I know that laundry can't wait when baby has a tummy bug!), and just remember, it will all be fine before you know it. Hang in there!

lizardqueenie Fri 22-Jul-11 22:24:03

Ah bless thanks Shark. Today was much more positive all round- we got out after I spoke to the dr who said that the test results were still not back (sigh) but it was good to get out & that the bug had prob left dd's system now but poos can be a bit odd afterwards so not to fret about that. It was good to go out, wheel around Tesco & pick up more bland food to feed to DD! She did a lot of napping in the car & I bought myself a crap magazine detailing celebrities bmi's which cheered me up immensely so parked up & read that. Have managed to keep on top of the washing whipped the Hoover round last night but the basic stuff really. Today was a much better day though!

lizardqueenie Fri 22-Jul-11 22:28:26

Thanks for your support too borrower smile I can't believe you got slated on aibu but I think you're brave for posting on there- I just read that board with amazement sometimes!

Wondering what we can do over the weekend. Invited to various do's/ houses for tea but have turned them down until
We have DD all figured out. Garden centre might be nice smile

theborrower Sat 23-Jul-11 23:56:39

Err yeah, don't think I'll be posting on AIBU again anytime soon! I think the conclusion was that I was not unreasonable to want some help, but I was unreasonable to expect DH to take time off. Mind you, I don't see why one day would have made much difference - it would certainly have helped my sanity!

Sounds like your DD is on the mend - hope she is ok very soon x

lizardqueenie Sun 24-Jul-11 08:45:14

Well of course it makes a huge difference to have your DH around! My DH was working from home on fri- as in properly working from home, not skiving unfortunately grin and it was just great to have another pair of hands off & on throughout the day. DD seems much better now, poos returning to something near normal. I've come down with a crappy cold though- probably inevitable given I've been feeling a bit run down but just trying to be extra careful so DD doesn't catch it & the whole circus starts again! X

cottonreels Tue 26-Jul-11 09:14:01

I usually go for a walk in the local woods (no one else ever there). V peaceful and the wid in the trees seems to do it for baby too.

ragged Tue 26-Jul-11 15:25:17

Drink some wine grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now