Talk

Advanced search

When will my ds stop chewing his board books?

(9 Posts)
boognish Thu 21-Jul-11 17:48:41

I got him lots a few weeks ago because he seemed to like them and they were helping him develop his eye/hand coordination (he had begun to turn the pages, lift the flaps, spin the wheels and so on). Now he's coming up to 5 months everything ends up in his mouth and dripping in goo as soon as he gets near it. I've started taking the books away from him as he drags them to his mouth, as there is so much more he can get out of them several months down the line when he understands language and the world around him to a degree. Am I being a rotter? Or, even worse, are my efforts pointless? Is the end only in sight with the goo when he stops teething?

(I should add that it only got really bad when his gums began to really trouble him. He's been teething for about 2 months now).

Tee2072 Thu 21-Jul-11 18:25:58

My son is 2. He still likes to have a taste of the occasional book.

LaWeasel Thu 21-Jul-11 18:28:50

It may be a teething thing. DD stopped book munching when her teeth had finished coming through.

Now she is 2 and her toddler molars have just come through... she's destroyed a lot of books!

Now the teeth have settled down she's stopped doing it again.

boognish Thu 21-Jul-11 19:36:19

Well, that explains why no-one in my family kept the books they read to us when we were teeny! grin

LaWeasel Thu 21-Jul-11 19:44:24

I thought that too!

Basically, as long as they're not precious/library books, I'd let him do it. They love it and are therefore not crying about the teething. Nothing bad about that!

FoxyRevenger Thu 21-Jul-11 20:17:33

My daughter stopped (mostly) at about 11 months. I didn't mind it except she would eat the stuff and I was always worried she would choke.

Sirzy Thu 21-Jul-11 20:20:35

DS is 20 months and still does this occasionally! It normally is at the same time as he munches on aliens and people (toy ones of course!) so i put it down to teething.

We have a few books which are already battered which he is given to read when he starts!

greycircles Thu 21-Jul-11 20:24:01

I didn't let either of mine chew board books, but they both stopped putting things in their mouths around their first birthdays.

AngelDog Thu 21-Jul-11 22:00:48

DS hasn't done it for a few months now - he's 18 m.o. So maybe 14 or 15 months. He does chew lots of other things though. (He has all his teeth but likes to explore the world with his mouth.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now