Talk

Advanced search

Toddler moving out of duvet and waking cold... Newborn any minute... Help!

(13 Posts)
dycey Thu 21-Jul-11 13:40:33

i moved ds (2.5) out of a sleeping bag and under a duvet a few months ago as he was bothered by it getting tangled with his legs. I think it was just a bit small. He was constantly asking me to 'sort it out'.

Trouble is he rolls and sits up and crawls around his cot bed and without fail now wakes me in the early morning and at night because he is on top of the duvet and cold... It's z pain as he sleeps well otherwise and my second baby is due in a few days.

Have tried tucking a big duvet around the mattress, tried a sheet tucked round but he still gets out of it and on top... He moves and moves...

What's the biggest sleeping bag anyone has found? Are the merino ones big enough? He does seem to get rather claustrophobic under sheets/duvets and in restrictive sleeping bags. But I could really do without the extra wakings!

Advice welcomed!

Seeline Thu 21-Jul-11 13:43:24

How about just putting an extra layer on your DS? Long sleeved top or jersey depending on what he is wearing to bed at the moment? My DD gets chilly, and she always has a cellular blanket at the bottom of her bed so that if she wakes up chilly she can wrap it around herself.

SleepySuzy Thu 21-Jul-11 13:43:39

Zip on duvet? www.gro.co.uk/20100806180/gro-duvet-video.html

Cattleprod Thu 21-Jul-11 13:46:02

Get him some fleecy winter pyjamas and some bedsocks!

dycey Thu 21-Jul-11 14:13:52

Thank you all - that sounds like a nice sane solution without spending masses more money.

Quite hard to get the temperature right isn't it? Warm pyjamas and socks and just a light duvet over his legs tonight then... Given that he will inevitably move.

He has just been wearing cotton pyjamas til now.

BoysAreLikeDogs Thu 21-Jul-11 18:16:15

dycey have you tried the duvet rotated 90 degrees on the bed, so the length is tucked in widthways (IYSWIM) and harder to untuck

dycey Thu 21-Jul-11 21:52:49

I have tried that thanks boysarelikedogs, tried it with a sheet and with a duvet but he still manages to get out and on top!

Tonight he has a vest and tights and brushed cotton pjamas so here's hoping I don't get woken early!

I ordered a woolen all in one sleep suit with feet - as a cheaper option than a merino sleeping bag. Feel it could work!

Summerbird73 Thu 21-Jul-11 21:56:37

i have this problem too and am going to try BALDs suggestion, only with a full single quilt - DS is in a bed (from cot bed) which is too small for the regular single duvet BUT the duvet rotated might work = thanks BALD!

nancy75 Thu 21-Jul-11 22:01:33

my dd does this, last winter we bought her a giant baby grow to wear in bed (she is 6) like this it is warm enough that when she kicks the covers off she stays warm.

mamster Thu 21-Jul-11 22:34:06

We have this problem too. I use a single duvet turned around so the length is tucked under the mattress, but make it slightly loose for wriggling. He still kicks himself out sometimes though but it's better than it used to be.

I also go in and check him before going to bed myself.

I have a friend who uses one of those large baby grows - can't think what they are called but work for her DS.

gomummygo Thu 21-Jul-11 23:27:12

We solved this problem by going back to a grobag, there is a 3-6 year size, though it is hard to find. It is huge.

JarethTheGoblinKing Thu 21-Jul-11 23:38:09

Normal sleeping bag?

dycey Fri 22-Jul-11 08:35:19

Thanks all - last nights tights and vest under warmer pyjamas worked a treat. Slept all night on top of it...

Maybe when it gets too cold we will resort to bags again (tho I am loathe to buy more) but for now layering up might work. And I will report back on the woollen all in one - with feet - that I have bought from hejhog... So long as the baby doesn't arrive and throw me!

Been wasting a few good nights lately with getting up to cover him up!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: