Talk

Advanced search

When your kids sleep less than you do.

(5 Posts)
aquos Wed 20-Jul-11 22:05:34

Ds is 11. He goes to bed at 9pm. He's often still awake when I go to bed at 10-11pm. I wake at 7.30am and he's usually awake before that. He doesn't seem tired during the day.

Am I sending him to bed too early? Should I let him just read/play until whatever time he is tired? Can I trust him to sleep when he's ready or will he end up tired and irritable next day?

He's been like this for about the last 6 weeks. He's SN and gets very anxious over change. I've spoken to him and he says nothings worrying him. It does just seem that he's not tired.

How many hours do your pre teens sleep for?

MumblingRagDoll Thu 21-Jul-11 01:00:09

How is he generally? It could be the lighter nights of course...or hes not getting enough excersise.

Is he ok in the day?

madhattershouse Thu 21-Jul-11 01:03:14

My 11yo goes to bed at 9-9.30..but is often awake long after that. He can be up before 7.30 but sometimes needs waking. I think this is a usual behaviour for the age. Not quite a sleepy teen, no longer a child!

cory Thu 21-Jul-11 08:33:07

Ds (11) goes to bed around 9.30, gets up between 6.30 and 7.30. Have no idea when he goes to sleep, I don't check on him. My take is that you can police bedtimes but not what time somebody is asleep, and that you can rest while lying awake in bed.

Ds has always needed less sleep than his sister who is 3 years older.

Riveninside Thu 21-Jul-11 08:34:45

dd (7) is like this. doesnt sleep till 11 and is often awake at 5 or 6.
sob

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now